Society & Culture:Philosophy
In coming months, the world is due for a major collapse of real estate prices. The lockdowns prompted by Covid-19 have exposed the inherent weaknesses of most forms of "place". Offices, retail stores and expensive homes just don't have the same intrinsic value that they did five months ago, and a painful reckoning is at hand. With many employees and college students working successfully from home, it is becoming clear that knowledge work doesn't require a special location. The virus has given a huge boost to telecommuting, and once these wheels have been set in motion, they can't be turned back. The victims of the change are landlords providing office space and colleges forced to maintain expensive buildings that aren't being used, as well as all the workers who construct and maintain these facilities. Homeowners in major cities will also face losses as telecommuters flee to less expensive cities. Knowledge workers may have easier lives, but anyone who are already invested in real estate may face devastating losses. — Website: DemographicDoom.com — Instagram & Twitter: @DemographicDoom — See the video version of this episode for notes, comments, corrections & links to other resources: j.mp/dd_realestate [ep 44, 24 May 2020]
46. The Post-Nuclear Family: An Introduction
45. Rip van Winkle Awakens... to Insane Economics
43. A History of our Dysfunction: 1945-2020
42. Best Practices Medicine vs. Triage Medicine
41. Casualty of the Crisis: Things You Don't Need
40. The Tragedy of the Commons: The Sin That Got Us Here
39. Coming Soon: Collapse of Federal Debt and the U.S. Dollar
38. A Sorry Time for Humanity: How Lockdowns Are Digging Our Graves
37. How I’m Spending the Apocalypse: In a Hospital Bed in Boston
36. Japan vs. Italy: Why is the virus exploding in one but not the other?
35. Comprehending the Crisis
34. Virus Lockdown Mania: Is It Making Things Worse?
33. Ironies of Herd Immunity
32. Millennials vs. Baby Boomers: The Coronavirus Edition
31. The Crash Begins
30. Pandemic + Financial Collapse = Chaos
29. Introduction to Triagism: A Philosophy of Life Based on Medical Triage
28. Coronavirus Predictions
27. Coronavirus: Is This The Black Swan That Crashes the Economy?