15. Small Inflatable Pools; Good News For Lawyers Handling Consumer Class Actions.
Brian and Shant discuss some good news (for a change) for consumers regarding class actions.
Noel v. Thrifty Payless, Inc. (2019) 7 Cal.5th 955: The California Supreme Court held that the ascertainability element of class certification does not require the ability to give notice to every single class member.
Nguyen v. Nissan North America, Inc. (9th Cir. 2019) 932 F.3d 811: The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals held that the Plaintiff’s theory of liability—that Nissan’s manufacture and concealment of a defective clutch system injured class members at the time of sale—is consistent with his proposed recovery based on the benefit of the bargain. It doesn't matter
Brian and Shant also discuss the "trivial defect" doctrine.
Have questions for us? You can reach us at 213-217-5000, or visit our website at www.kbklawyers.com
18. More Bad Decisions Regarding Arbitration
BONUS CONTENT: Interview with Genie Harrison at the 2019 CAALA Convention in Las Vegas
BONUS CONTENT: Interview with Robert Simon at the 2019 CAALA Convention in Las Vegas
17. The End of Labor Code Section 558; Bad News for California Employees
16. Notice Prejudice Case; Removal Case; Privacy Rights; Driver Privacy Protection Act; Arbitration of UCL Claim; Trail Immunity
14. Beating MSJ in a Discrimination Case; Successfully Fending Off Arbitration By Arguing Waiver
13. Breach of Confidentiality Clause; J&J Talc Case; Personal Injury Case; A Rogue Juror; Abuse Case; Insurance Case & Interpreting Contracts
12. FEHA; Attorneys Fees in Lemon Law Cases; Medicare in Personal Injury Cases; Attorney Fees in Civil Rights Action; RFAs; Burden of Proof for Reducing Future Damage Awarded
11. Facebook & The Telephone Consumer Protection Act; Lawyers Getting Petty; Professional Negligence & CPAs; Clarifying Rule 4-2; Manhattan Community Access Corp Case
10. Case Certification; Insurance Case; Decertification and Standing; UCL Claim; Civility and the Law
9. Waiving Right to Arbitration; Handling Insurance Company Claim; 9th Circuit Court of Appeal Arbitration; CAFA; SoCal Gas Leak Case; Mandatory Fee Arbitrations Over Attorney Fees
8. Class Action Fairness Act; Treble Damages Under Penal Code; Failure to Prosecute; Picking Off Class Representatives; One-Way Attorney Fee Statute
7. Arbitration; Primary Assumption of Risk; Insurance Cases
6. Juror Misconduct & Collateral Source Rule; Forum Selection Clauses; 5 Year Rule in A "Death Knell" Doctrine; Uninsured Motorists Within an Umbrella Policy; PAGA & Claim Splitting
5. Good News in Trucking Employment Cases; Cautionary Tales About Deadlines
4. SCOTUS Ruling in Epic Systems in PAGA Cases; Denying Class Certification; Religious Org. Exemption; Relief Under CCP 473b; Elder Abuse Cases; Deadlines for Removing Fed. Court Case
3. Cy Pres; Default Judgment PAGA Cases; Declarations in Malpractice; DQ of Lawyers in Partnership Disputes; Self-Insured Retention & Coverage; Liability of a Fraternity
2. Equitable Tolling; Piece Rate Work & Meal Breaks; Application of Forum Selection Clauses; Seeking Disqualification of Lawyers; Post-PAGA Actions
1. Enforcing Arbitration Clauses; Challenging Judges; Expert Declarations; False Advertising Claims; Construction Defect Class Actions
Good Law | Bad Law
Migration Policy Institute Podcasts
Turning the Tide, Saving the Chesapeake Bay
Code and preview