This is the final part of this special 3-part series where you are going to learn HOW to accelerate your English learning to reach your English goals faster.
Get the ALL the worksheets, audio lessons, and transcription for this special training podcast series here
About this episode...
So what was the BIGGEST mistake I made that kept me stuck as a beginner for so long?
It wasn’t only because I was doing Naive Practice...
But it was also because I was following the 'common' suggestions and ideas about HOW to learn a language, such as:
"Just listen to lots of audio"
"Watch movies with subtitles"
"Take a language course"
"Go to a Spanish speaking country. You'll learn fast!"
Trust me, I tried ALL of them....
It seemed like these ideas worked for everyone else, but they weren’t working for me.
I thought, “Maybe I’m just bad at learning languages”.
And at one point, I almost gave up.
It wasn’t until I started think about how I usually learn new skills that I realized, it’s a simple 2-step method:
Step 1: Think about the skill I want to be able to do.
Step 2: Think of ways to learn and practice it.
For Spanish, I wanted to be able to:
> Speak with real people and understand them
But when I looked at what I was actually doing
> Memorizing random words and doing grammar drills
Wait a minute…
How are grammar drills helping my speaking? Or listening?
Oops. They don’t.
And what type of words am I learning?
…Words from grammar lessons.
Are those the words used in everyday communication?
Nope. Definitely not.
This helped me realize, I was doing the wrong activities for the skills I needed.
My next mission: Find a better way to practice speaking and listening.
And this brought me to the ‘trial and error’ part of my learning where I spent the next two years experimenting with different ideas.
Although most of my ideas were complete failures…
… Eventually I found the key methods that UNLOCKED my language skills and allowed me to make rapid progress.
Like really rapid.
I got up to an advanced level within 1 year.
Although my story is ‘interesting’ because it explains HOW I figured out how to reach fluency.
My story is also the LONG and SLOW WAY.
… And I don’t recommend it.
Because there is a MUCH faster way.
In today’s podcast, I want to share the concept of DELIBERATE PRACTICE which builds on the concept of Purposeful Practice.
Without doubt, Deliberate Practice is the fast-track to fluency.
And it’s a method that can easily increase the speed you learn by 3x.
83. Internet Problems & Calling Tech Support - Real Life English Dialogue
[Part 4] Student Stories & The Impact of Deliberate Practice
[Part 2] Get Specific & Purposeful for Real Results
[Part 1] Accelerate Your Learning with Deliberate Practice
Get Inspired & Dream Big!
81. New Year‘s Eve House Party! Happy 2022 from Real English Conversations
79. Caught in the rain - Improve Your English with Short Stories
78. Working in Northern Canada | Learn about Canadian Life & Culture
77. Accents & Confidence - Speak Confidently & Effectively in English
76. Canadian Hot Springs - Listen to English Conversations
75. Taking Breaks & Avoiding Language Loss | Staying Motivated to Learn English
74. A Rough Landing In Mexico | Learn English with Short Stories
73. Apps & Software | English Audio Conversation about Technology
72. Finding a Focus for Faster Results | Speak Fluent English Faster
71. Unexpected Adventures: American English Podcast to Practice English Listening
70. Long Weekends – Learn Real English From Real Life Conversations
69. Finally Speak without Fear and Gain Confidence [Part 3/3]
68. When Low-Confidence Takes Control [Part 2/3]
67. The Broken Connection: Listening to Speaking [Part 1/3]
The French Instinct
Learn French with Anthony
Daily Easy English Expression Podcast
The InnerFrench Podcast
Copyright © 2006-2022 Podbean.com