Society & Culture
Covid optimism • Hong Kong crackdown continues • Facebook ”censorship” • Universalism is the answer to racism • Israel/Palestine • UFOs are real! But are aliens?
It's the Foreign Influence Podcast, with American Bill Poorman and Dutchman Nikolaj Groeneweg taking you on a humorously serious and seriously humorous romp through international events. This time we had to catch up on a lot of items since we took an episode off:
• We allows ourselves just a bit of covid optimism, given the success of the vaccines so far. 💉 Now we just need to focus on the entire globe.
• The crackdown on Hong Kong continues in China as the government bans remembrances of the Tiananmen Square crackdown. So many crackdowns.
• Facebook bans Trump for two years. But it's not "censorship" if the government doesn't do it.
• We wade into the controversy over race by standing firm on the idea that universalism is the answer to racism. And it's tough to be in that space in modern politics.
• We wade into the very simple, easy-to-fix Israel-Palestine conflict. We came *this close* 🤏🏻 to solving it.
• Finally, UFOs are real! 👽 Supposedly. But that doesn't mean it's aliens. And why are the pictures always so blurry?
Thanks for listening! 🙏🏻
Make sure to sign up for our newsletter - the Foreign Influence Dispatch - for links from today's show and more info and commentary from us.
Reach out to us at email@example.com or through social media. You'll find us individually on Twitter, but also check out our FI Facebook page, where we can continue the conversation.
Remember, if you like what you hear, please help spread the word. 🙏
Bill & Nikolaj
Can we call it a Cold War yet? • There‘s no way to do Facebook right • We came *this* close to not talking about covid
Looking for positive covid news • Doom and gloom around Taiwan and East Asia • The endless search for good news
And we're back! • Has anyone heard of this covid thing? • Afghanistan and accountability • Don't worry the robots will be nice
Singapore no more! • Bill and Nikolaj reflect on their time in SG and Asia now that they have both left
Covid catch-up - who's fault is it now? • The western democracies make up • Changes afoot
Happy Mother's Day! • Chinese spaceship apocalypse • Covid • Gas attack! • Channel (fish) wars • Cheerio Scotland?
India covid crisis, but the vaccines are holding up • US policing - a good Floyd verdict, but the robot dogs are coming • Too much good news
On the way to vaccination • Pay attention to the South China Sea • Academic papers made easy
The US and China get pissy with one another • Anti-Asian attacks in the US • When stairs strike back
America is back • Yay? • Principle or propaganda • China Time
De-platforming • Maybe insurrection is the limit? • US vs Europe free speech • Whence truth?
Insurrection • Awesome "beacon of democracy" • Enlightenment values on the line • Accountability
Happy New Year! • 2020 reflections, 2021 predictions • And about as much happiness as we can muster
The US makes being a Third World country cool again • Nikolaj has just had it • Bring on the vaccines, baby!
We pioneer re-truthing • War on Christmas won • Wounding democracy is highly profitable • Covid is exhausting
The Eastern Hemisphere moves on while the West is a basket case • Democratic institutions undermined
Relief with a Biden/Harris victory • Will underlying problems get addressed? • The joys of a botched presser
Count all the votes! • No repudiation of Trump • Macron sticks up for western values
Long voting lines • Do we like politicians to lie to us? • New missiles = big trouble
Copyright © 2006-2021 Podbean.com