GSPC Episode #34: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Part 2: Rob and Kip discuss Nova Braga Airport
In part 2 of Grid Snaps' series on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Rob and Kip take us on a design deep dive of the Nova Braga Airport playspace. What makes this a great place to sneak, shoot, and fulton extract soldiers? Rob and Kip also explore many great level design and environment art processes and techniques, in one of the most info-packed episodes to date!
1. How real life events are used for the game and level design, re: Africa at the time of The Phantom Pain.
2. Contrasting the "trench" technique in older games (used to obscure long draw distances in outdoor environments), versus topography in a modern open world game.
3. Negative and positive space in level design.
4. Using the fences as a clever way to limit entrances to the airport.
5. The difficulty curve of the game: hard at first, but not so hard as to make one stop playing.
6. Adaptive difficulty in the game.
7. Theorizing about what the whiteboxing phase of this design was like.
8. How Rob and Kip, working together, might have approached desigining this environment.
9. Whiteboxing techniques from various companies and studios.
10. Making sure you aren't fooled by simplicity in a whitebox.
11. How Nova Braga airport has a lot of great design, despite it being a relatively simple in architecture.
12. In level design, things often start complex, but get "baked down" to simpler forms because they work better.
13. How players can easily "mentally map" the area.
14. Giving level designers proper recognition for their work, which the Phantom Pain does with its credits for each mission.
GSPC Classic Episode: Prey 2 with Lead World Designer Nathan Cheever
GSPC Classic Episode: Talking Cuphead with Art Director Ken Hogan
GSPC Classic Episode: The Level Design of Ikea
GSPC Episode #44: The Elements of Level Design
GSPC Episode #43: Marvel Ultimate Alliance
GSPC Episode #42: Service to the Player
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Death Stranding May 2019 Gameplay Trailer
GSPC Episode #41: The PlayStation 2 Console
GSPC Episode #40: The Earth Defense Force Series
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Apex Legends with Environment Artist Konrad Honey and Patrick
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Resident Evil 2 (The remake), with guest Konrad Honey
GSPC Episode: A Memorial to Eric "ECM" Mylonas: 2019 Rebroadcast with new forward.
GSPC Episode #39: Sega's Yakuza Series
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: The SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Retro Gaming
GSPC Episode #38: Patrick Presents: PSP Oddities and Classics! Including Cho Aniki Zero, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, and Gitaroo Man Lives!
GSPC Episode #37: Rob and Kip discuss the Red Dead Redemption series with Environment Artist Konrad Honey
GSPC Episode #36: Rob and Patrick Discuss God of War
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
GSPC Whitebox Commentary: Far Cry 5
Code and preview