What Is a Works Council and Why Does It Matter When Expanding Into the EU?
In this Globig Podcast, we’re discussing Works Councils in the EU, what they are and why the matter much more than most companies are prepared for when entering into foreign markets, especially the EU and countries such as Germany, UK, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Austria, France and Spain .
Our guest expert is Nathan North, the Director of Global Payroll at Global Upside. Nathan oversees payroll processing for over 5000 employees from different clients across 45 countries.
Some of the important discussion topics we cover and questions we answer in this podcast include:
1. What exactly is a works council and how are they different from a trade union?
2. What are the areas of business that Works Councils will influence?
3. What are some of the hardest aspects for companies to comply with?
4. What are the benefits for having Works Councils?
5. For companies considering going into Germany, there is a concept called co-determination or ‘Mitbestimmung’, which is an even more robust version of typical Works Councils. What is it and how does it apply?
6. How important is having a good working relationship with work councils for a company expanding abroad?
7. Are all companies required to participate in Works Councils? Can companies choose not to participate in works councils? What are the requirements?
8. What are the costs for a company associated with running works councils and the participation of their employees?
Recruiting Effectively Despite Brexit
International Contractor, PEO or Employee: What’s Best For Your Global Business?
Expats and Relocation - “Don’t Get Tripped Up On Expat Taxes”
The New EU Timekeeping Ruling: Info And Impact
Some Important Things To Know About Immigrating Into Foreign Countries
Hiring In California: The CCPA Vs. The GDPR
Moving Fast Tech Podcast #2 - Sha Ma - Vice President of Engineering at GitHub
How To Do Business Successfully In Australia
How To Do Business Successfully In Canada
Parental Leave Around The Globe
Company Culture, Culture Shock, And Impact On International Employee Loyalty
The Critical Global Expansion Checklist- Part #2 Commercial Compliance Preparation, Data Privacy and Information Law
The Critical Global Expansion Checklist- Part #1 Corporate Setup, Governance, Regulations, and Taxes
How To Know And What To Do When You’ve Outgrown Your Global PEO
The Differences Between Gen X, Y, Z And Their Impact On HR Around The World
How To Attract, Hire, and Keep Global Millennial Employees
How Human Resources Can Help Create An Effective & Happy Global Virtual Workforce
Using Artificial Intelligence For Interviewing Candidates Internationally
Hr Tips For Successful International Mergers & Acquisitions
Code and preview