Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
Romans 4:13-22 NKJV
13 For the promise that he would be the heir of the world was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if those who are of the law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise made of no effect, 15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression.16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be [a]sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; 18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”
Good morning, everybody!
I hope you’re excited to be here today. I know I sure am. I love the holidays, but I’m certainly glad to be getting back into the routine of life. I loved the Christmas season as we really focused on the personhood of Jesus Christ and His power to save humanity.
Next week, I’l be starting a brand new series entitled “First Things First”, that will propel us in to the new year.
But today, on this last Sunday of December, I want to talk to you about faith. I’ve entitled this message “Living Above See Level”.
January 1 marks a point on our Western calendar called “New Year”, and it has become a day where people traditionally have made some goals and adjustments to their lives. We’ve all heard them.
- Lose weight
- Start a business
- Get out of debt
- Read the Bible through
You name it, and people have tried it.
Many have succeeded ,while many have failed. I wont ask you to raise your hand to share if you made your resolution last year or not.
The truth is, many of us have goals and ambitions in life, but what if I told you that God didn’t create you just to be mundane or to merely exist?
What if I told you that God wanted you to live an adventurous life of faith? Well, He does!And I’m telling you, you have to think bigger in this new year!- Some of you are stuck relationally
- Some of you are stuck financially
- You're at a dead end job, working for someone else dream, someone else’s vision.
- You are hand to mouth and check to check
- Some of you are stuck spiritually
- You are doubting God’s call
- And Gasp.....We can even be stuck as a church - Living on yesterday’s vision
- Living on outdated methodology
We can become paralyzed by fear, discouraged by circumstances, and held captive by our senses.
It’s time to believe God and to life by faith! That is, to live by more than what we can see.
In our passage, we are told about a name named Abraham, who the Bible does call “The Father of Our Faith”.
Abraham was chosen by God to start the nation of Israel. However, we have an issue: Abram is old and Sarai is barren! That doesn't make for a good situation!
Yet, Abram received a promise from God.
1. Faith receives the promise (vs. 13-16)
- We receive the promise not by works. - We receive the promise not by the law. - We receive it by faith.
2. Faith proclaims the promise (vs. 17-18)
- Faith proclaims the promise.
- “He called those things that be not as though they were.”
- Don’t forget that God changed His name from Abram to Abraham. Abraham means “father of many nations”.
- That means that long before He had kids, God was speaking over him. Every time someone called his name, they were prophesying.
- It’s not lying to say what God says.
- That’s why Joel 3:10 NKJV says “Let the weak say I am strong”
3. Faith rejects present circumstances (vs. 19)
- We often forget that there is a time frame between the promise and the manifestation.
- From the time God first called Abraham (i.e. Abram) in Haran, to the time when his “son of promise” Isaac was born, nearly three decades went by. Abram left Haran for the “Promised Land” when he was 75 years old, full of faith and the zeal of a new recruit into God's kingdom.
- That means there were many mornings to wake up doubting. Many days to keep “looking”, but he decided to live ABOVE “see” level”.
- He wasn’t weak in faith. He didn’t consider his own body being dead. He didn’t consider the deadness of Sara’s womb.
- He did not waver. “One morning God will, one morning He’s not.The next day, maybe He will........James 1:6-8 NKJV But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
4. Faith builds our confidence (vs. 20-21)
- He gave God glory. Faith always praises God in advance.
- He was persuaded that God was able.
5. Faith pleases God (vs.22)
- He was made righteous due to his unwavering faith.
- Hebrews 11:6 NKJV But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a reward er of those who diligently seek Him.
What you have to understand about God is that payday isn’t always on Friday, but there’s always a reward for our faith. He is faithful. Do you trust Him?
Pay It Forward:What Does Pentecost Mean to Me?
Pay It Forward: The Necessity of Personal Evangelism
He Gave Gifts: The Evangelist
Pay It Forward: Answering the Call to Missions
Next Level Living: Overcoming the Fear of Failure
Next Level Living: Overcoming Offense
We Believe - The New Heaven and the New Earth
Next Level Living: Overcoming Loss ft. Pastor Susan Nordin
We Believe - The Final Judgement
Next Level Living: Overcoming the Fear of Death
We Believe - The Millennial Reign
Next Level Living: Overcoming the Fear of Lack
We Believe: The Blessed Hope
Raise the Standard: What Kind of Friend Are You?
We Believe: Diving Healing
We Believe - The Church and It’s Mission
Raise The Standard: A Return to Repentance
We Believe: Sanctification
Won’t He Do It?!? - There’s Another in the Fire
We Believe: The Baptism of the Spirit
Ye Gods! with Scott Carter
Christ is All: Frank Viola Audio
Voice of Reason Radio
Kingdom Power Fellowship Int’l
Being Love In Action Podcast Audio
The Bible Recap
The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)