On this week's edition of Banner Monday:
• Ryan Phillips is on hand to tackle your mailbag questions with Jerod.
• Mike DeCourcy joins us for his Big Ten Roundup in which we answers six questions submitted by Assembly Call community members.
• Ben Ladner leads us through another edition of Basketball 201, talking about the basic principles of the packline defense.
• Josh Wilson provides a brief overview of Chicago State, Indiana's season-opening opponent on Tuesday night.
Remember: use the URL http://iutickets.shop when you need to buy IU basketball or football tickets.
That URL will take you to SeatGeek, where you will find the ticket prices arranged by value (it’s a really helpful setup), and all purchases are fully guaranteed.
Plus, it’s our affiliate link, so when you use it and buy tickets we get a commission — making it a great way to support the show.
Also: use the promo code ASSEMBLY for $20 back after your first purchase. Again, the URL: http://iutickets.shop.
THIS WEEK'S RUNDOWN
In Segment One [2:00], Jerod opens with his Banner Moment about Jerome Hunter’s recent acquisition of the gold practice jersey, and then he and Ryan dive into this week’s mailbag.
Among the topics they cover:
• Why you shouldn’t be concerned about Romeo’s shot selection in the exhibition game.
• What are Archie’s weaknesses as a coach?
• What is worth paying the most attention to in Indiana’s season opener against Chicago State?
• How long will it take for Indiana to find its offensive identity?
• Which player improved their stock the most in the exhibition game?
In Segment Two [26:10], Mike DeCourcy joins us for this weekly Big Ten Roundup segment.
He answers these six burning Big Ten questions:
• Besides Romeo Langford, which freshmen will have the biggest roles and be counted on the most by their teams?
• What do you think Archie could most improve upon has as a head coach?
• What team in the Big Ten has the most game ready depth?
• What are the five strongest defensive teams in the league?
• Last year essentially everyone over-projected Minnesota and Northwestern. Both underwhelmed for different reasons. Who are national analysts making that same mistake on in the BIG this year?
• What team in the Big Ten that doesn’t have a true star player could most benefit from having one?
Follow Mike on Twitter: @tsnmike.
In Segment Three [49:39], Ben Ladner joins us for our the latest edition of Basketball 201, in which we want to provide insight and education and some of the concepts and strategies that will be major talking points during and after IU games this season.
This week we talk about the packline defense — its basic principles, its goals, its vulnerabilities, and why it’s a much better defense at the college level than the NBA.
Here is the video of the segment, which includes the helpful visuals: https://youtu.be/vkNaS6Hxbzs?t=3122
And in Segment Four [1:16:00], we preview Indiana’s upcoming opponent for this week.
Josh Wilson, host of the new Inside Out podcast joins us to provide some insight on a Chicago State team that is undoubtedly one of the nation’s worst.
All of that and more on this week’s edition of Banner Monday.