Maria Morukian on Why DEI Programs Don’t Always Work and What To Do Instead
In today's episode, we will be discussing why standard diversity training cannot always be effective and we will be exploring alternative approaches to DEI programs. Decades of research have shown that these programs typically produce short-term changes in understanding certain concepts, plans for future behavior, or attitudes, with some studies reporting positive effects and others finding negative effects. Our discussion will focus on biases, including the tendency to feel more at ease with people who are similar to ourselves. Join us to learn more about effective DEI strategies.What We Discussed in this Episode:
About Maria Morukian
- Are there sustainable alternatives to solely relying on training for effective DEI?
- Quantitatively speaking, is there notable progress in DEI, and how long until we reach a satisfactory level?
- Overcoming human bias is crucial for fostering an inclusive workplace culture - how can individuals be trained to mitigate the impact of their biases?
- Is having a dedicated DEI function correlated with better performance compared to companies without one?
- Should DEI training be mandatory or voluntary for employees?
- DEI programs may evoke vulnerability in individuals, highlighting their inherent biases.
- How can this risk be transformed into an opportunity for growth and progress?
Maria Morukian's upbringing was shaped by her multicultural and multilingual family in the outskirts of Detroit. Her father, an Armenian-Cuban refugee, and her mother, who grew up in a small Polish farming community in northern Michigan, instilled in her a positive mindset, a passion for storytelling, and a strong desire to combat oppression.
As the President of MSM Global Consulting, Maria specializes in fostering holistic organizational change and leadership development while prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion. Additionally, she serves as a faculty member at American University, where she teaches graduate-level courses on intercultural communication and training design.Connecting with Maria Morukian
Her podcast Culture Stew: https://msmglobalconsulting.com/category/culture-stew-podcast/
Maria's Book Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Trainers: Fostering DEI in the Workplace https://www.amazon.com/Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-Trainers-Fostering/dp/1953946054
Join the Simply Human Newsletter
Want to receive unreasonable ideas for great people at work - Growth hacking human-centered performance, innovation and work culture. - You are just a click away https://simplyhuman.substack.com/
It is Free