Sophia Kristjansson on Transforming the Workplace - from a Cold to a Place We Belong
Belonging is an innate human need that is rooted in our biology. Unfortunately, 40% of employees report experiencing isolation in the workplace, which can lead to decreased engagement and commitment. According to a study conducted by BetterUp, a strong sense of belonging can result in a remarkable 56% boost in job performance, as well as a 50% decrease in the risk of turnover and a significant 75% reduction in sick days. It's clear that fostering a sense of belonging in the workplace can lead to positive outcomes for both employees and employers alike.
What We Discussed in this Episode on Belonging at Work:
- Is the Importance of Belonging Overrated? Exploring the Role of Friends and Family
- The Power of Transparency and Candor in Cultivating a Culture of Belonging
- Nature vs Nurture: Understanding Behavioral Change and Overcoming Brain Resistance
- Common Mistakes Organizations Make in Building a Unified and Inclusive Workplace
- Growth Hacking Belonging: Quick and Low-Effort Fixes for Leaders to Foster a Sense of Belonging in the Workplace
About Sophia Kristjansson:
Sophia, a published author, is a co-author who contributed a chapter on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) to the book titled "The Secret Sauce for Leading Transformational Change." Currently pursuing a PhD in Organizational Psychology at Canterbury Christ Church University, Sophia also serves as a faculty member at the University of Denver's College. Her expertise lies in teaching DEI structures, organizational leadership, human resources, and business strategy courses. In 2012, Sophia established Lexicon Lens, a consultancy focused on fostering organizational innovation through practical strategies and initiatives that promote inclusion and belonging.
Connecting with Sophia Kristjansson:
Subscribe to the monthly Simply Human Newsletter
Unreasonable ideas for great people at work - We talk: growth hacking human-centered performance, innovation and work culture. https://simplyhuman.substack.com/
It is Free