The State of Science: Sugar Addiction
In this podcast Tabitha Farar talks to Maggie Westwater, one of the authors behind a study looking into misconceptions behind the notion of sugar addiction.
We talk about:
- Animal studies into addiction and what they can tell us about human behaviour.
- What studies into drug and other types of addiction can tell us about "sugar addiction."
- How restriction, not addiction, looks to be the driver behind binge eating behaviours.
- Artificial sweetners and how they affect the way we desire foods.
- Binge eating development and the role of restriction.
- Why "food addiction" can be a problematic use of language.
Paper we discussin in this podcast: Westwater, M.L., Fletcher, P.C. & Ziauddeen, H. Eur J Nutr (2016) 55(Suppl 2): 55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6
Links to the study that Maggie Westwater spoke about:
You can support this podcast and ensure the continuation of it by pledging a patreon donation here: https://www.patreon.com/Eating_Disorder_Recovery_Podcast
Please take a second to fill out this survey with feedback so we can make these podcasts even better:
Subscribe to these podcasts in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/eating-disorder-recovery-podcast/id1138563928?mt=2
Adults in recovery community Slack Group: http://tabithafarrar.com/slack-forum/
Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/EDMealSupport/
It is Free