Society & Culture
The Wellness Couch discusses Pain Science with Shaun Brewster
Pain Science – it may be your brain, not your back.
In this topic we will discuss what happens in the brain when someone experiences pain and how it can hard wire a neural pathway that sets that person up to experience even more pain over time. We will cover this concept from a neuroscience perspective, but also give practical strategies for helping break those patterns and remove or reduce pain.
Let me introduce you to a Phenomenal individual who will chat about pain science on Thursday. A person who has total disregard for his physical limitations allowing him to master and compete in ultra marathons without ever hearing a whine or negative thought from him!!!In fact, Shaun inspires many with his physical abilities and mindset that doesn’t even compute the word failure. This individual is a MASTER ultra marathon runner who deserves to have the Superman cape on where ever he goes.
His list of achievements so far are enough to fill a book, but he was humble enough to at least provide a few of his accomplishments in ultra marathon running....
• Completed several Marathons
• Completed 3 X Oxfam Trailwalker (100kms)
• Completed Cradle Mountain Run (82kms) - Overland track in Tasmania
• Completed 2 X Buffalo Stampede Sky Ultra Marathon (75kms)
• Ran from Melbourne to Portland (375kms) in 5 days and raised over $20,000 for Cancer research
• Completed the Alpine Challenge 100mile (160kms) race in the Alpine National Park - covering the 4 highest mountains in Victoria
• And an endless list of other distance races both on trail and on the road.
Full of knowledge and skill, this man lives and breathes his talk. If there was ever a person to connect with in terms of improving, providing inspiration on exercise, or learning how to run providing running training or injury prevention ...you can’t go past this master expert for advice.
Shaun Brewster is a Myotherapist and Exercise Physiologist with over 20 years in the industry. In addition to his clinical career, Shaun has also been an educator in tertiary institutions and at conferences. Currently Shaun spreads his time between his company Continuing Education Australia (provider of professional development courses for health practitioners) and his clinical practice Brewster’s Sports Injury Clinic in Melbourne’s inner west.
It is Free