Society & Culture
ciplantgo solo#1: "Why is suffering bad?”, “Why are human beings good?”
The ciplantgo podcast is taking a break June/July. Vlogs will continue until end June, and some, like this one, will be published as a podcast 'solo' episode. And since I’m talking alone for quite a stretch of time, I thought it would be fun to make a cover where I talk with, well, myself. This cover is not the result of my overblown ego, quite the contrary: I’m making fun of myself. The following self-talk is totally serious though, but I did try to keep it humorous when appropriate. Last but not least, you might find my discourse unclear at times, or lacking in detail; I could have talked for far longer, and maybe doing so would have made my points stronger. But I felt like I was dragging on long enough for a first uncut take on these two complicated questions, so I released it as is. I might revisit some of the themes brought up at a later date.
Focus of the day: "Why is suffering bad?” and “Why are human beings good?”
- 0:02:50s: Today’s topic: why is suffering bad, and why are human beings good?
- 0:06:40s: Why do we suffer? An explanation based on evolution and chances of survival.
- 0:08:25s: Our moral intuitions are also rooted in evolution.
- 0:10:20s: Is suffering bad? Depends on your perspective… but yes, it is.
- 0:15:05s: Why should we care about other beings suffering?
- 0:31:55s: We are good because we do care.
- 0:40:05s: What to do? Act in line with your values; keep revisiting those values.
- 1:02:47s: Because we can. And a last quote from a controversial author...
- this episode on Youtube (with BGM): https://youtu.be/tJ3YJIeQwKs
- ciplantgo podcast: https://ciplantgo.podbean.com/
- ciplantgo Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ciplantgo/
It is Free