35: Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction
Excuses holding you back: Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
Sometimes in life, we allow excuses to hold us back and stop us from achieving our goals. We don’t know what to do, we may know what to do sometimes, but not sure of how to do it. We don’t have enough money to start that business. We don’t have enough experience to run the business. We don’t have enough experience to get a certain job that we truly want. Sometimes, the excuses may all be about busyness – too busy with work to have time to read. Too busy to write that book, compose that song, spend time with your loved ones. Sounds familiar?
It’s true some of these excuses may be genuine, but if we let them get in our way, we will not be able to take any step or achieve anything meaningful.
- No idea of how to start
- No sense of how to set it up
- Fear of running out of content.
- Not comfortable expressing my opinion to the public.
- Concern that people may not even like the content
So what did I do? I did exactly what I’m telling you today. Start anyway.
You see, it’s always great to aim and work towards producing the best in everything we do, but the truth is that starting something even though if it is not perfect, is better than not starting at all.
One of my favorite quotes is from Les Brown, and it says:
“The graveyard is the richest place on earth, because it is here that you will find all the hopes and dreams that were never fulfilled, the books that were never written, the songs that were never sung, the inventions that were never shared, the cures that were never discovered, all because someone was too afraid to take that first step, keep with the problem, or determined to carry out their dream.
So my message today for you my friend is that you should not wait for everything to be perfect before you start acting and working on your plans.
- Go ahead, and create the content of that book
- Go ahead and register that business
- Register for that evening school program
- Write out that song.
Whatever you want to achieve, start today by taking the first small step. Take imperfect action, because:
- You are never gonna know everything
- You are never gonna know all the answers
- You are never gonna be flawless
- Everything is not gonna be aligned from day one.
So if you are in the middle of making a decision on your next big goal. I encourage you to start with what you’ve got. It’s okay to do a good job and keep improving.
- Be okay with B- and aim for continuous improvement
- Be a learner
- Must do something (Doing nothing = Achieving nothing)
Note: Imperfection leads to something better if you keep learning and finding ways to improve.
Call to action
- What is that one thing you’ve been seating on?
- Put together a plan (Imperfect plan) this week.
- Make a decision every day
- Action is the only way you can make a decision about whether something works or not.
- Make me a sounding board. (If I don’t know, I can connect you).
It is Free