Health & Fitness:Mental Health
A National Violence Prevention Hotline: Why and How? [Episode 31]
Simply put, this is the audio recording of the speech “Why we need a National Violence Prevention Hotline” that Paul Krauss MA LPC gave on May 17, 2019 at the Cultural Impact Conference held in Chicago, IL. This conference was hosted by the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
"Learn about a bold new national effort to save innocent lives and curb violence in the United States by focusing on reaching potential offenders before they act: The National Violence Prevention Hotline."
Learn more and get involved with the National Violence Prevention Hotline project here:
Paul Krauss MA LPC is the Clinical Director of Health for Life Grand Rapids, home of The Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids. Paul is also a Private Practice Psychotherapist, host of the Intentional Clinician podcast, Behavioral Health Consultant, Clinical Trainer, and Counseling Supervisor. Paul is the creator of the National Violence Prevention Hotline (in progress) as well as the Intentional Clinician Training Program for Counselors.
References utilized during the speech:
1. Sipsma, H. L., Canavan, M. E., Rogan, E., Taylor, L. A., Talbert-Slagle, K. M., & Bradley, E. H. (2017). Spending on social and public health services and its association with homicide in the USA: an ecological study. BMJ Open, 7(10). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016379
5. Mental Health Myths and Facts, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, August 29, 2017. mentalhealth.gov/basics/mental-health-myths-facts. Accessed Dec 8, 2018.
6. Baer, D. (2016, July 08). The Dallas Police Force Is Evidence That 'De-escalation' Policing Works. Retrieved fromhttps://www.thecut.com/2016/07/deescalation-policing-works.html
7. Botelho, G., Kuo, V., & Levs, J. (2013, August 23). Antoinette Tuff hailed as 'true hero' out of Georgia school shooting. Retrieved fromhttps://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/us/georgia-school-gunshots/index.html
9. Dastagir, A. E. (2018, December 17). What actually happens when you call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Retrieved fromhttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/10/suicide-hotline-national-suicide-prevention-lifeline-what-happens-when-you-call/966151002/
Audio clips utilized during the speech:
ABC News: The Horror Behind the Georgia School Shooting
Story at the end of the speech as read by Jack Kornfield
Original music, used:
"Shades of Currency" [Instrumental] from Archetypes by PAWL
“Low Flyin’ Bird from Mangy Love by Cass McCombs
It is Free