Looping Basics – That Pedal Show
This is the audio from our video here: https://youtu.be/xDeFtmhNuOs
New to looper pedals? We talk about their basic functionality, problems with timing and rhythm, position in the signal chain and dip a toe into more creative applications.
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome! In this episode, Dan and I take a newbie’s approach to looping. We are not experts in this, so we walk through their basic functionality and address some questions you may have surrounding timing and signal chain positioning. We also introduce the concept of adding rhythm loops via a slightly more complex pedal.
Please note this isn’t a looping masterclass, or how to create those amazing multi-layered performance pieces – we’ll get somebody in for that down the line.
A note on the signal routing for the Boss RC-10R…
The RC-10R has stereo ins and outs. You can configure the outputs in other ways too. For this show we had the guitar loop (output A) going to the guitar amps in our studio, while the rhythm pattern (output B) were sent to a full-range powered PA speaker… because they sound pretty pants into a guitar amp to be honest. To see the full signal routing options head to Boss’s site and ingest: https://www.boss.info/uk/products/rc-10r/
TheGigRig Humdinger is there because we were getting a ground loop issue with the RC10-R’s rhythm track into the EV powered PA speaker.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• TheGigRig Three2One
• Peterson Strobo Stomp HD Tuner
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Ozf60o
• ZVEX Box of Rock
• Benson Preamp Limited Edition
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2YdumSe
• Analogman Bi-Chorus
• Diamond Memory Lane Jr Delay
• Catalinbread Topanga Reverb
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2BYxZFg
• MXR M303 Clone Looper
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2sSvEbo
• Boss RC-10R
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2NbZNct
• TheGigRig Humdinger
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Oh no! This won’t encourage anyone into looping: 00:17
- What we’re doing today: 3:25
- What do you use looping for? 6:08
- Looper pedals in general: 8:00
- MXR Clone Looper: 8:45
- How to set up a basic loop: 9:08
- Problems with rhythm? 11:10
- Make the first one simple: 12:40
- Don’t go too slow: 14:25
- What about a metronome? 15:55
- Half speed / double speed / reverse? 18:05
- Let’s make a loop: 22:30
- Ambient textures? 25:00
- Boss RC-10R with rhythm section: 26:50
- Where to put your looper in your signal chain: 35:30
- …first in line? 35:30
- …last in line? 38:09
- Using two loopers together? 40:15
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender 1965 Telecaster – no video yet
• Fender Classic Series Jazzmaster Lacquer - no video yet
Amps in this episode
• Marshall 1987x reissue with Zilla Custom 212 / Celestion Alnico Ruby speakers
• Matchless HC-30 with Hughes & Kettner Vintage 212 / Celestion G12M Greenback
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf
It is Free