Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
03-22-20 Kevin Goins - The Church's Ministry of Healing, part 1
“Anatomy of an Illness: The Church’s Ministry of Healing” John 9:1-38
What does John 9 teach us about sickness?
I First, sickness gets our a____________ and it gets the a______________ of Jesus (9:1).
II Second, sickness makes us un_________________ (9:2).
III Third, sickness is caused by a__________________ (9:2).
IV Fourth, oftentimes our best t________________ or c__________________ explanations for sickness are not good enough (9:3a).
V Fifth, sometimes sickness happens for a g_________ r_____________, so that God can be g______________ in our life (9:3b).
VI Sixth, all believers in Jesus are called to help _______ people find _____________ (9:4).
A. Jesus’ answer stopped the disciples from b____________ anyone for the man’s blindness, but Jesus has much m________ to say about the subject of sickness.
1. The disciples wondered who was to blame for the man’s blindness, but Jesus expands the discussion to what should be done for those who are s___________ and d________________.
2. Jesus begins, “As long as it is d_________....”
B. The first thing this verse tells us is that we are living in the __________. How can we say we are living in the day?
1. First, in verse 4 Jesus says while night is coming, it is ______ here yet.
a. Yes, there is darkness around us, but we can c___________ to look to the light.
b. We are not to be focused on the ___________ darkness – we are to be s____________________ focused on the light that is all around us now.
2. Second, we know we are living in the day because Jesus defines “night” as the time when “no one can work,” but this is a time when we, believers in Jesus, ________ working.
a. The church is at work today d______________ the good news of the Gospel.
b. And, the church is ministering God’s grace to those who are burdened by s___________, f_________________ needs, and f_________.
3. Third, in 2 Corinthians chapter 6 Paul shows us that it is day because people can _____________ to believe in Jesus.
a. This is day because a person can h_____ the Gospel and can d___________ to believe in and follow Jesus.
b. Because this is day, and because the light is now shining, _______ are invited by Jesus himself to trust in him and to become his c_______________.
4. Finally, this is day, not only because Jesus is now i___________ people to him, but because his children are now r_____________ his glory.
a. By reflecting Jesus, you and I make it _______ for the people around us.
b. We do that, not by b___________ light, but by r______________ the light of Jesus.
It is Free