23. #23: The Liars Amongst Us – How Does Your Resume/CV Stand Up Against ‘The Lasso of Truth’
The Liars Amongst Us – How Does Your Resume/CV Stand Up to ‘The lasso of Truth’
You all heard the expression FAKE IT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT, what happens when you fake it at least on your resume and get that dream job. You might think you have won, and the battle is over, but the Truth will always surface over time. This Podcast addresses the problem lying; telling white liars, being economical with the truth on your CV and the effects it has on you and your organisation. According to Monster the online job search engine, 85% of recruiters said that candidates exaggerate skills and competencies on their resumes.
This week another high-profile staff was caught lying on their resume/cv – Special shout out to Digitalhealth for breaking the story 1st. For more information check out the links below.
Ex-Oxford CIO gets two-year suspended sentence for lying about the degree
A former chief information officer (CIO) has been given a two-year suspended jail sentence for lying about his degree to get a £135,000 per-year job.
Other high-profile people found guilty for telling lies on their resume/cv.
Ex-Yahoo CEO Scott Thompson claimed he had computer science and accounting degrees from Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. He only had an accounting degree. Thompson, who was hired in January 2012, agreed to resign from Yahoo that May after an activist investor brought the lie to light
Jones, who was dean of admissions from 1997 to 2007 at the ultra-prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology, perpetuated for 28 years the lie that she had three degrees. In reality, she had none. As the head of admissions, ironically, Jones cut the number of space candidates would have to describe extracurriculars on applications, saying more space would mean more fluff. The school learned through an anonymous tip in 2007 that Jones had puffed up her credentials, and she was forced to quit.
Telling liars on your CV can get you prosecuted for Fraud and whilst you are in post you risk not being to perform at your best or your best might not be the standard required for the position. There are positions that this could directly affect the safety of the public or patients. Besides feeling like a fraud face being subjected to constant negative thoughts in your ability that gives rise to imposter syndrome, lack in confidence, over defensive practices, shame, isolation and a lack in professional competence. Not to mention guilt, to deny someone else more qualified to do the job.
I discuss how a silly ‘white lie’ can land in big trouble during the job interview process.
How to create a digital profile that best reflects your skills, passions and goals.
Employers have their own ‘lasso of Truth’ to tease out the truth for candidates during the interview process and before making the final selection. However, not all employers have robust processes in place to validate the education and skills required, more of them simply use LinkedIn. In Health (NHS) particularly this is not acceptable, care professionals are registered against bodies such as GMC (General Medical Council) The medical register is a list of doctors in the United Kingdom, showing their registration status, training and other useful information and the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council). Misleading, the NHS with skills and qualifications you do not have could put patients’ lives at risk! So, Don’t do it!
Any Healthcare provider that has been exposed for wrongly employing staff to facilitate care risk more than embarrassment, we are talking about persecutions, being placed under special measures and even corporate manslaughter where there has been a loss of life. All of these come to light when there has been a serious onto wards incident and investigators search for the Truth.
Please, before you click submit on that resume/cv double check that it will stand up to the ‘lasso of Truth’ enabling you to look your future employer directly into the eye with Authenticity, Integrity & honesty.
If your resume is clean and you can stand by all its content then use #cvclean
Don't Lie to get your dream job – all this, ‘Fake it until you make it MUST STOP!’
Instead, ‘LIVE IT UNTIL YOU BECOME IT!’
If you are not successful in your application - Remember you are so much more!
DON’T JUST LIVE LIFE – MAKE LIFE BOOM!
31. #31: Buddy Talk – How Men Can Better Support Each Other with Catherine Gamble
30. #30: How to Better Support Men Fighting Depression
29. #29: How To Make Employee Wellness A Priority Interview Michael Lawrence CEO and Jake Adams COO & Co Founder of WellSpace App
28. #28: In The Spotlight with Dexter Simms reveals, How To Achieve Unbridled Success – Part 3 of 3
27. #27: In The Spotlight With Dexter Simms Reveals How To Achieve Unbridled Success Part 2 - 3
26. #26: In The Spotlight With Dexter Simms Reveals How To Achieve Unbridled Success Part 1 - 3
25. #25: Kobe Bryant's Awful Death Exposes Shocking Life Lessons on Grief
24. #24: A Rare Revealing Interview with Paula Moore the Pioneering Group Fashion Director at TI Media – Follow Her Journey & Learn Her Secrets To Success!
22. #22: What Does Harry And Meghan’s Situation Say About Your Family Values? – An Open Discussion…
21. #21: Mastering Brazilian jiu-jitsu whilst battling life challenges with Leigh Joyce
20. #20: The Power Behind Goal Setting – Are You Ready & Resolute for 2020 with co-host Jingo
19. #19: Leadership - The most common leadership styles & How they impact on your chances for success – with co-host Jingo
18. #18: "Answering Your Call" - Interview with Sherelle founder of Faith, Hope and Love Natural Products
17. #17: Let's Talk Mental Health Part 3 of 3 - Breaking Down the Multifaceted Role of A Mental Health Nurse ft Jenny Pink Mental Health Consultant
16. #16: Let's Talk Mental Health Part 2 of 3 - How to Find Meaning in ‘Problem Behaviour’ ft Geert Bettinger author of Moving on by Standing Still
15. #15: Lets Talk Mental Health Part 1 of 3 - A Parents Journey Supporting A Child With Mental Health Challenges ft Tracy Page
14. #14: Emergency Mic Drop Session - The Rise of Terrorism - The Prying On The Weak, Discussing The Root Causes & What Urgent Action Is Needed!
13. #13: Gaming Addiction - Discussion with Everton Barton Expert Gamer - What are the warning signs? What are the causes and effects? What treatment options are available?
12. #12: After Dinner Conversation with Sebastian Brouwer - Exploring the techniques used to achieve high results and how to expose the hidden drivers that fuel our desires
Strategic Change Guide Podcast by Lucy&Jim Woods
Potencial Millonario an Audio Dice Podcast Network in Spanish (Español)
The Amy Ahlers Show
Inspirational Living: Life Lessons for Success & Happiness
Code and preview