Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available. This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Podbean does not own or control, or to people that Podbean does not employ or manage.
Information You Provide
This is information that you provide to us through text fields, such as your name, password and payment information. The information we collect is different depending on if you:
- register for a Podbean paid hosting account through which you may upload and distribute podcasts through Podbean's Podcast Services (“Podcaster(s)”);
- become designated by an Account Owner as an Administrator or a Content Contributor ("Admin(s)");
- sign up as an advertiser who creates and run advertising campaigns on Podbean (“Advertiser(s)”);
- become a paid subscriber to a premium podcast (“Premium Member(s)”);
- become a patron by supporting a podcast with donations (“Patron(s)”);
- become a podcast listener or subscriber, or open a free hosting account (“Free Account Holder(s)”).
To create an account on Podbean you have to provide your:
- Email address
You may also sign up using a Facebook account or Google account and email address. We will ask permission to access basic information from that account, such as your name, profile picture, and friend list. You can choose to stop sharing that information with us at any time by removing Podbean’s access to that account.
Additional Information for Specific Roles
In addition to the information above:
- “Advertisers” provide:
- Company Name
- Contact Person’s Name
- Telephone Number
- Company Description
- Company Logo
- Payment Information
“Premium members”, “Patrons”, and “Podcasters” provide:
- Payment Information
For customers paying via invoice/wire transfer, we collect the following additional information:
- Company Name
- Company Address
- Contact Name
- Contact Email
- Telephone #
Note for “Podcasters”:
Auto Social Sharing: When you authorize Podbean to share your podcast to social media or other distribution methods, you may be asked to provide account owner credentials for those services that require access to your personal account. Anytime you are asked to provide personal account credentials for outside services, you are actually entering your login information directly to those systems. We do not collect, store or otherwise process login credentials to your personal accounts on our systems. Those sites send back an Oauth Access Token that enables us to post on your behalf. We do not retrieve any other personal or public information. You should review information about their data handling policies and terms of service.
Do Not Track
Our service does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means our third party analytics providers may associate your usage on Podbean with your usage on other sites.
Information We Collect
We collect information automatically as you navigate the site or through our third party analytics providers. We may store usage information such as the type of device you use to access Podbean, your operating system, browser type, IP address, and device ID, the pages you visit or request, links clicked, referring sites, user interactions and your search terms. When you use Podbean’s apps, we may collect information include your mobile device information (e.g., device model, operating system version, device date and time, unique device identifiers, mobile network information) and how you use the apps. We also derive your location from your IP address. These types of information do not generally identify or relate to you as an individual; however we may associate these types of information with you as an individual.
We process limited podcast audience information using the combination of IP Address and User Agent (a string of characters that identifies the type/version of software that you are using to access content) to track podcast statistics. We do not expose or make this information available in any way to any third-parties (including podcasters) that would identify individual listeners. We only provide podcasters with aggregated statistics through the Podbean user interface. We reserve the right to research specific IP Addresses as may be necessary to protect our podcast services, our company/employees, our customers, and/or our systems. For example, we would research an IP Address that accessed our systems in the case of a suspected bot, rogue server or bad actor that may be affecting service delivery or performance. The logs of raw data containing this information are routinely purged.
Our website may use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. ("Google"). Google Analytics uses "cookies" to help the website analyze how users use and view the website. Any information generated by the cookie about your use of our website (including your IP address, and particulars about your browser and configuration as reported by your browser) may be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google may use the information collected for the purpose of enabling us to evaluate your use of our website, certain aspects of your user experience thereon, compiling reports on activity for us and providing other services relating to our website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. More information on the Google Analytics cookies are available from Google at https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage.
How We Use Your Information
We never sell your information to anyone. We use your information to:
- provide Podbean services to you.
- allow you to sign in to your account.
- allow you to support podcasters with patron donations and purchase premium content.
- allow you to sell content and collect donations as a podcaster.
- provide podcasters with aggregate data on their podcast’s performance and listening audience.
- allow you to set up and run advertising campaigns on podcasts.
- provide information about your podcast to potential advertisers (if you opt in to advertising services).
- send you emails relevant to your usage, as controlled by your email preferences.
- reply to your questions/support inquiries.
- understand how you use the service.
- provide podcast recommendations and a tailored app experience to you as a listener.
- create better tools for podcasters and podcast listeners.
- conduct research and development to improve Podbean.
- prevent fraud and abuse on Podbean.
Information Shared with Podcasters
If you are a patron or premium member, the following information is shared with the podcasters you support/subscribe to:
- Email address
If you are a an account holder, the following information is shared with the podcasters you follow:
If you are an advertiser, the following information is shared with podcasters for campaign purposes:
- Company Name
- Company Description
- Company Logo
Information Shared with Advertisers
If a podcaster opts into Podbean advertising services, we share information with potential advertisers. This would include podcast name and profile, download numbers, and aggregated audience statistics (such as geography, devices, platforms).
Information Shared with Third Parties
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is data that includes a personal identifier like your name, email or address, or data that could reasonably be linked back to you. We will only share this data under the following circumstances:
- With companies that are contractually engaged in providing us with services, such as order fulfillment, email management, analyzing data trends, customer service, credit card processing and fraud detection and prevention. These companies may have access to personal information to perform their services and are obligated by contract to safeguard any PII they receive from us.
- To protect the security or integrity of Podbean, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of Podbean, its employees, users, or others, if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on us). If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
Optional Data Processing
In addition to processing Personal Data in the ways set forth above for purposes related to the provision of Podbean services, you may also choose to allow us to use certain Personal Data as detailed below.
- Information Requested: if you request information about our company or our related products and services, you may elect to provide personal contact information such as your name, your email address, your phone number, your company, and/or your mailing address. We may use your information to respond to your request and to follow up with relevant information or updates.
- Opt-In Mailing Lists or Subscriptions: we may offer you the option of signing up, or having us sign you up, for various subscription and/or mailing lists used to send communications from our company for purposes of keeping customers and other registered recipients updated with respect to information about our company, news and developments, our company’s products and services, and other communications about our company. In order to register you on such subscription and/or mailing lists, we will ask for your name and email address. If you provide your personal information specifically to subscribe to a particular mailing list, we will use the personal information you provide specifically to send you the requested information. In other cases, we will specifically ask for your consent to use such information on an opt-in basis; provided, you acknowledge that where particular uses of opt-in information are necessary to our performance of related Services, we may not be able to continue performing the affected Podcast Service if you exercise your right to refuse, or later withdraw, your consent.
Information Shared with the Public
The following information is publicly accessible:
- Your Nickname.
- The podcasts you follow or support are publicly displayed.
- Any comments you make on the podcast site, patron page or Podbean apps.
- For podcasters, your podcast downloads total is publicly displayed by default. You may hide this information in your “settings”.
- Your aggregate data may be shared in posts, releases or presentations about Podbean’s usage and services. This anonymized data cannot be linked back to an individual user.
Your Preferences and Rights over Data
Choosing Your Preferences
You can log in to your Podbean account to check your settings in your Podbean dashboard. You can change your settings as desired.
Exercising Your Data Rights
You can exercise rights over your data in the following ways:
Editing Your Account Information
You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account on the settings page, as described above.
Cancelling Your Account
You can cancel your account if you go to your account settings while you are logged into Podbean. Click the “Cancel” link on your “My Account” page to cancel your account and remove it from public view. Paid account owners can choose to leave their account open until the expiry date of the current payment, so will need to opt for immediate closure to remove the account from public view. Please be aware that this is a final act and you cannot log into your account again after completing this. When you cancel and close your account, we immediately remove your ability to log in. If you create a new account, you will be asked to use a different email address from the one you used previously. Even if an account is cancelled, some information may be retained by our system analytics and support system.
Unsubscribing from Marketing Emails
You can stop receiving marketing emails by changing your email settings. While this removes your marketing emails, service related emails are still sent, to make you aware of product updates, platform changes and additions, and ways to best use the service.
Turning off Mobile Notifications
If you download the Podbean app you may also receive notifications on your mobile device. These can be disabled in the app settings.
Understanding Our Data Retention Periods
We generally retain Personal Data for the periods specified applicable law, regulation, and/or court order, and in our document retention/filing policies, currently set at ten years. We may also retain Personal Data for longer periods where there is a reasonable basis for retaining such data, including without limitation in connection with the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims. We retain podcast account information for a period of six (6) months after account closure.
Additional Questions Related to Privacy
For additional privacy-related questions about your account, you may email us at email@example.com.
European Union Data Transfer
Transfer of Data to the United States
Transfers to Other Third-Country Legal or Natural Persons
Personal Data may be shared with other third-country legal or natural persons for the purposes described in this statement. When required by GDPR, we may transfer Personal Data to such third-country legal or natural persons on the basis of: (1) Contractors and business units work in third-country with standard contractual clauses for data protection which have been approved for as the basis for transfers of Personal Data to third-countries by the European Commission; (2) binding corporate rules or codes of conduct approved under the terms of the GDPR; (3) when we transfer Personal Data to other organizations in the U.S., we may rely on those other organizations’ participation in the EU-US Privacy Shield; or (4) the fact that the European Commission has issued a finding of adequacy with respect to privacy laws in such third country transferee’s jurisdiction.
We may use your information to offer you products and services that we think may be of interest to you, unless you have opted out of marketing communications. If you are in the European Economic Area, where required by applicable law, you will be asked to provide your consent before we send you any marketing communications. You may object to the use of your data for direct marketing purposes at any time, free of charge, when we collect your personal information and in every marketing communication. We will never provide your information to third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we follow industry standards to protect it. Full credit card numbers are never accessed by our system, and sensitive data is encrypted.
To further protect your information we suggest using a strong and unique password for your Podbean account and keeping this information private.
Kids on Podbean
Podbean is not designed for children under age 13. We recommend that children under 13 ask their parents for permission before using this service. Any user below the age of 13 will not be allowed to register on Podbean.
Podbean may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your Podbean account or by placing a prominent notice on our site. Continuing to use Podbean after a change to this policy means you accept the new policy.
Your Rights and Options
If we receive a demand from you with respect to your rights of access or rectification, we will refer your demand to the applicable Data Controllers and assist such Data Controllers, to provide you, where appropriate, with access to your Personal Data and, as applicable, with the ability to review and correct inaccuracies, delete Personal Data that is no longer necessary or relevant, receive a copy of your Personal Data in a structured machine-readable format, and otherwise fulfill your demands to the extent based on the exercise of rights held by you under the GDPR.
If we receive a demand from you with respect to your rights of erasure, restriction of processing and/or right to object to processing, access or rectification, we will refer your demand to the applicable Data Controllers and assist such Data Controllers to respect your requests, where appropriate. In the event that you inform us in writing that you wish to opt-out of future processing of your Personal Data we will work with the applicable Data Controllers to respect your request.
Where we rely solely on your consent, you may withdraw it at any time; subject to the limitations and disclosures set forth above regard the effect such demands or withdrawals may have on our ability to continue providing the services in the manner for which we have been engaged.
You may also object to processing that is described above as being based on our legitimate interests alone. In such instances, our business interests must be found to be compelling and to not jeopardize your individual rights before further processing may continue.
In order to meet our obligations under applicable law, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before responding to demands as set forth here.