ARDRA SHEPHARD OF TRIPPING ON AIR: Calling BS on How Society Views Mobility Aids
When the opportunity arose to have today's guest on the podcast, I was more than elated. She's an absolute superstar in the MS space. From her award-winning blog, Tripping on Air, that chronicles her life with MS, to her Instagram presence, to the recent WebMD documentary featuring her, Ardra Shephard is calling bullshit on how society views differently-abled individuals. Her content is overflowing with upfront, often comically deadpan observations about living with MS and, equally as important, living with mobility devices. Mobility devices, and learning how to live with them with confidence, grace and style for days is her jam. In today's episode, Ardra shares with us how she threw her vanity to the wind and said screw it. If there's nobody else out there representing what I want to accomplish with MS, and while using a mobility device, I'm going to be that person. And that's exactly what she's done.
- Why a blog?
- When an invisible disease becomes visible
- Clearing the air by writing
- Looking for a role model that didn't exist
- The evolution of an Instagram feed
- Deciding to be the example
- Where are the people like me?
- The lack of resources on mobility device use
- Naming her device
- The guy with the fedora
- I can still be a badass with a mobility device
- You can't control what others think about disability
- Not everyone's an asshole
- MS DOES have you
- Giving yourself permission to say "This sucks!"
- The dictator that lives in your body
- When people forget you have MS
- Fixing the disabled = "less than" mentality
- When disability is marginalized
- Don't feel sorry for me
- Dreaming about walking
- Disability is expensive
- Comparing mobility devices
- A shift toward better design
- How your presence makes others feel
- Insensitive things people say
- Opting to live beyond the safety of your home
- Living a life less lived because you opted not use a mobility aid
- Social media for representation & information
- The Selma Blair effect
- Being an influencer can be a good thing
- 2020 is the year of clarity
- What Ardra's working on
- A television show based on Ardra's blog
Ardra's website: https://trippingonair.com/
Ardra's WebMD Documentary -
Ardra in Momentum Magazine -
Ardra's Optimus Prime (snazzy rollator) -
CBD IS FOR HEALTH NOT HIGH: Unlearning What You Thought You Knew About CBD
YOUR YEAR OF REBELLION: It's Time to Rewrite Your Prognosis
YOUR PERSPECTIVE IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY:. Are You Going to Change it Now or Never?
EVERYTHING COULD CHANGE OVERNIGHT: Are You Ready for It?
STOP RESISTING & START SURRENDERING: Making the Transition from MS Warrior to MS Strategist
LET'S TALK MOBILITY DEVICES: How Your Thoughts About Them May be Holding You Back
YOU HAVE MS: Now, Who are You?
MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - Binty's MS Gym Victories
How to Survive the Overwhelm of the Holiday Season While Keeping Your Mindset and Body Movement on Track by Coach T
THE MS CAREGIVER: Navigating this Critical Role with Realistic Expectations and Grace
DEPRESSION - Recognizing and Managing One of the Most Common Symptoms of MS
HOW TO APPLY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY* Getting Past the Stigma & Moving Forward with Confidence
STAY CALM, STAY PRESENT, STAY CONNECTED. Taking Control Over Your MS through Self-Awareness
WHAT IS HSCT? Everything you wanted to know about the treatment that HALTS (not slows) MS
MS - Beyond the Diets, Bonus! Post-HSCT Nutrition Unraveled. How to Avoid Setbacks and Recurrent Relapse.
MS - Beyond the Diets, Part 2, An Individualized Approach to Healing with Targeted Nutrition
MS - Beyond the Diets, Part 1, An Individualized Approach to Healing with Targeted Nutrition.
Laughing in the Face of MS with Actor, Rapper, Nerd, Damian Washington
INSIDE THE MS SOCIETY - THE DRUGS, THE MONEY & A GAG ORDER?
The Gary Null Show
Dopey: On the Dark Comedy of Drug Addiction
Sleep With Me
The Cabral Concept
Code and preview