Health & Fitness:Nutrition
Episode 109: 7 Keys to Optimizing Your Keto Lifestyle in the face of COVID 19 for Your Best Health Now!
7 KEYS TO OPTIMIZING YOUR KETO LIFESTYLE with Jessica Tye, NTP
1. Digestion is the FOUNDATION of health. If digestion is off you will not be able to heal, lose weight, balance hormones, sleep well, manage stress, etc. If the Nutri-Q tells you that you have digestion needs we have to start there first.
2. Drink HALF your body weight in water every single day – just water – you may add a squeeze of lemon or lime if you would like. If you drink diuretics like tea or coffee then you need to add that amount to your total water intake to make up for the diuretic effects. When you begin drinking the right amount of water for your body so many things can begin to resolve related to your health and weight.
3. Cut out ALL processed foods (snacks, pastas, breads, cereals, etc.) and sugars (agave, table sugar, coconut sugar, etc).
4. Be careful of including the following in your diet on any type of regular basis (I think all of these should be avoided completely by most everyone as they are the most reactive foods that I see across the board clinically): Soy, Corn, Sugar, Wheat (gluten) and Dairy (mostly in the form of milk – hard cheeses, butter, ghee and sometimes heavy cream can be okay for some people).
5. Eat 1-3 meals per day and do NOT snack. Snacking between meals keep your blood glucose high which will keep insulin elevated. Insulin is the “fat storage” hormone. It turns unused/unneeded ener- gy from food we are eating into fat and stores in on our bodies. To avoid this eat only when you are hungry and make that a MEAL.
6. Your meals should be nutrient dense whole foods containing higher healthy fats, moderate protein and low carbohydrates. Generally keeping your ratios to about 70-80% fat, 20-30% protein and 5-10% (or less) carbohydrates is what I recommend. Your carbs should come mostly in the form of green or cruciferous veggies and occasional fruit or root veggies. Track what you are eating on an app like My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager for a while to get an idea of how many of each macro you are eating.
By knowing what the ratios are you can play with them a bit based on how you are feeling and how your body is reacting. This will also help give me an idea of how to help you if you are able to share with me exactly what you are eating each day. DO NOT pay attention to the amount of calories these apps tell you to eat – they are always WAY low!
7. Know you BMR! This is the amount of calories that your body needs every day just to do your daily tasks and function your organs. If you eat less than what your body needs everyday you will lower your metabolic rate and your body will not only store body fat, but it will not let go of what you have regardless of how little you eat. Repeat after me; “Eating less will NOT help me weigh less. Eating nutrient dense food until I am satiated will give my body the signal that I have plenty and we do not need to hold onto extra stores of energy (body fat). I will NOT restrict calories and instead will work hard to give my body what it needs every day so that I can feel and look my best!”
To learn your BMR follow these instructions:
BMR/RMR – energy required to maintain body systems and control body temperature at rest (Harris-Benedict Equation) Males: BMR = 66.5 + (13.75 x weight/kg) + (5.0 x height/cm) – (6.76 x age/years)
Females: BMR = 655.1 + (9.56 x weight/kg) + (1.85 x height/cm) – (4.68 x age/years) Ex: 18 year old female weighs 55kg and is 175 cm tall
655.1+(525.8)+(323.75)-(84.24)=1420.41 (1420 calories)
Or follow the link below to:
But THEN you need to figure out your TER based on PALS...
(Total Energy Requirement) (Physical Activity Levels)
Little to no exercise: TER = BMR × 1.2
Light exercise (1–3 days per week): TER = BMR × 1.375
Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week): TER = BMR × 1.55
Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week): TER = BMR × 1.725
Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts): TER = BMR × 1.9
Ex: Same 18 y/o female trains 6 days a week: TER= 1420 x 1.725 = 2449.5 calories per day
To join my online Group Coaching go to my website and sign up today: www.JessicaTye.com
I hope to see you there!
Episode 114: Top 10 Weight Loss Tips that you may have never thought of before!
Episode 113: Answering Listener Questions: What to do when you have reached your goal and MORE!
Episode 112: Back to Basics - Finding YOUR keto plan and how to make this new lifestyle work for YOU!
Episode 111: Keto Snacking - Should you, Can you & What are Good Keto Snacks to Enjoy if You Decide to?
Episode 110: Best Ways to Boost Immunity and Naturally Fight Invaders like COVID-19 - Keep your Immune System Strong with Nutrition & Lifestyle!
Episode 108: How Low Carb and Keto Lifestyles can help Women Thrive and Balance Hormones with Dr. Anna Cabeca
Episode 107: Special Report on Coronavirus (COVID-19) w/ Immunity Tips & How to Deal with Fear & Anxiety with Neurosurgeon, Dr. Darlene Mayo
Episode 106: Keto bakery owner, Jessica Stern-Enzi of Beyond Grain Bakery, discusses her health journey, taking a diabetes diagnosis and turning it into a new start & a way to help others!
Episode 105: How Cholesterol, Hypothyroid, Digestive Health and Detoxification are linked & What Diet & Lifestyle Have To Do With It.
Episode 104: Interview w/ Dr. Stephen Hussey - What you NEED to know about Heart Health regarding your diet, lifestyle and genetics!
Episode 103: Interview with podcast listener, Melanie Fedo. She shares the real life struggles with changing diet & lifestyle. Don't miss this one!
Episode 102: Matt Gallant with BiOptimizers talks nutrient needs, cravings, optimizing nutrition and how to upgrade your keto for 2020!
Episode 101: Keto for the Holidays - Do you throw in the towel for Thanksgiving & Christmas or stick to your Keto Lifestyle?
Episode 100: Chasing Ketone Readings, Why Insulin is Key, What's with Willpower and MORE!
Episode 99: Why You Probably Should NOT be "Keto": defining ourselves, comparing ourselves and just eating real food!
Episode 98: Integrative Health Coach & Author of "No Fricken Weigh! 21 Days to Ditch the Diet & Shed the Weight the Keto Way" Tracee Gluhaich
Episode 97: Top 7 Keto Lifestyle Fat Loss hacks for the Busy Mom!
Episode 96: Interview with Catalina Crunch founder, Krishna Kaliannan on his health challenges that ultimately led to starting this LC/Keto Cereal Company!
Episode 95: Fat Fueled Author & Entrepreneur, Derek Tye, shares with us his insights into making the Keto Lifestyle work for YOU!
The Melanie Avalon Biohacking Podcast
The Model Health Show
The Exam Room by the Physicians Committee
Half Size Me
Dishing Up Nutrition
Copyright © 2006-2021 Podbean.com