Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
The Earliest Christian Confession about the Resurrection + "Cat's in the Cradle"
Was Jesus really raised from the dead? Every aspect of the Christian faith hinges on this single claim. On this Holy Week episode of Three Chords and the Truth, New Testament scholar Dr. Thomas Schreiner joins Garrick and Timothy to talk about what Paul says about the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15. Then, in the second half of the program, Garrick and Timothy review a song that’s almost always ascribed to the wrong artists. The dilemma drawn from the Infinity Gauntlet this week forces a painful choice between the Jedi Temple and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Dr. Schreiner chooses an option that's completely different from Timothy's or Garrick's, which almost certainly means that Timothy and Garrick were wrong.
Thomas Schreiner, Ph.D., is James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation and Professor of Biblical Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary where he also serves as Associate Dean of the School of Theology. Dr. Schreiner is the author or editor of many books including, Romans (Baker: 2018); The Race Set Before Us (IVP Academic: 2001); and Spiritual Gifts (B&H: 2018). Follow Dr. Schreiner on Twitter at @DrTomSchreiner
1. What is the context of 1 Corinthians 15:3-7, one of the earliest surviving Christian confessions about the resurrection?
2. What are the specific implications of the words "passed on" and "received" in 1 Corinthians 15:3?
3. What would you say to someone who is struggling to believe that Jesus was actually raised from the dead?
If you want to dig deeper into the historical integrity of the New Testament, one great place to start is In Defense of the Bible, edited by Terry Wilder and Steven Cowan. To download a sample chapter, visit http://www.bhacademic.com
* 1 Corinthians: An Introduction and Commentary: book by Thomas Schreiner
* Interpreting the Pauline Epistles: book by Thomas Schreiner
* Paul, Apostle of God's Glory in Christ: book by Thomas Schreiner
* Interview with Thomas R. Schreiner: an author interview from Books At a Glance
* Cars, Coffee, Theology 1:1: dialogue between Thomas Schreiner and Jonathan Pennington
* Father and Son: song by Cat Stevens
* Cat's In the Cradle: song by Ugly Kid Joe
* Cat's In the Cradle: song by Harry Chapin
* It'll Come Back: song by Red Sovine
If you are interested in earning a master’s degree online or on campus that will equip you with the most comprehensive apologetics training available anywhere, go to http://www.sbts.edu/bgs/degree-programs/mdiv/apologetics/
Support the show and spread the word! Here are a few ways to do that:
2. Leave a rating and review on iTunes to encourage other people to listen to the show.
3. If you purchase any of the books mentioned in Three Chords and the Truth, consider using the Amazon links provided in the show notes. The show will receive a small percentage of each sale.
4. Visit our Patreon site where you can support the podcast, suggest future songs or topics, and order Three Chords and the Truth merchandise.
Three Chords and the Truth: The Apologetics Podcast thanks B&H Academic for their sponsorship. Music for the podcast has been licensed through Artlist.io and performed by the band Vegan Friendly—even though neither Garrick nor Timothy has ever been vegan friendly. Brief excerpts of music played in the second half of each program are included solely for the purposes of comment and critique as allowed under the fair-use provision of U.S. copyright law. "The fair use of a copyrighted work ... for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, ... scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright" (U.S. Code § 107, Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use).
Three Chords Goes to the Movies: Avengers: Endgame
How Did Judas Iscariot Really Die? + "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
Historical Evidence for Supernatural Signs at the Death of Jesus + “American Pie”
Jesus, Superman, Captain America, and Other Resurrected Superheroes + "The Great American Novel"
Is There Enough Historical Evidence to Believe Jesus Was Raised from the Dead? + “Spirit in the Sky”
The Cross and the Lynching Tree + “The Star-Spangled Banner”
Truth and Testimony in the New Testament Gospels + “All Along the Watchtower”
God, Humanity, and Gender in Captain Marvel + “All Along the Watchtower”
What Is Apologetics? + "Age of Aquarius"
Why Apologetics Matters + "God Gave Rock and Roll to You"
Three Chords and the Truth Trailer
Code and preview