Hello! Why are people reluctant to talk about the nation of England? And does this really matter? This week we’re getting stuck into the debate around English identity. John Denham, director of the Centre for English Identity and Politics and former Labour cabinet minister, discusses the importance of embracing Englishness and proposals for new political institutions. Journalist Sunny Hundal explains how to forge a progressive national identity and reclaim the flag from the far right. Then Green MP Caroline Lucas talks about exploring the relationship between England and Brexit on her ‘Dear Leavers’ tour.
We’re joined by comedian Rachel Wheeley.
151. SEX, POWER, MONEY: a conversation with Sara Pascoe
150. 150 NOT OUT: so what have we learned?
149. WE BUILT THIS CITY ON BIKES AND STROLLS
148. CUTTING ZUCK’S BUCKS: can an ad boycott change Facebook?
147. CHILDCARE MATTERS: learning lessons from lockdown
146. NO ONE SHOULD GO HUNGRY: tackling the scandal of food poverty
145. THE SHOW MUST GO ON: why we need to save the arts
144. WE ARE OUR HISTORY: time to understand our past
143. NO WORKER LEFT BEHIND: planning a just transition
142. BLACK LIVES MATTER
141 and a half. ORDER ORDER: in conversation with John Bercow
141. THE ZOOM WHERE IT HAPPENS: building a digital society for all
140. MOBILISING A ZERO CARBON ARMY: green jobs for young people
139. A MISSION FOR SORTITION: citizens’ assemblies & the climate crisis
138. PEOPLE ARE GOOD: a truly radical idea
137. TACKLING ROUGH SLEEPING: why does it take a pandemic?
136. STRINGS ATTACHED: designing better bailouts
135. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING?: learning from crises of the past
134. A GREEN RECOVERY: the case for a climate stimulus
133. IN THIS TOGETHER: global cooperation on a global crisis