Society & Culture
The Writer's Lens - E40: Getting That Idea (Book) Out Of Your Head And Onto Paper
We all have that ONE idea. We all have something we think is worth sharing with others. For a writer like me, I have lots of ideas; ideas I'd like to see become a book someday. Maybe even a feature-length film. But, before any of those things can take place, I have to do one thing: get started. I have to put my thoughts to paper (or keyboard) and then see how my idea is coming together.
On the surface, this sounds simple; maybe even easy. Yet as we go through the process of fleshing out our thoughts, we find the further we go, the more difficult things tend to get. Or disappointing. And even downright demoralizing.
For this new series on The Writer's Lens, I'll be starting at ground zero. Specifically, starting and (hopefully) ending with the self-publishing of my next novel, The Shadow of Mars. So the format for the next line of episodes will be centered around this process. Hope you enjoy and find some great takeaways from this new series I'll be tackling. Here's a quick breakdown of what you'll hear:
1. Have an idea you think / feel is worth sharing (and one that YOU are interested in)
2. Start writing it down - outline or "by the seat of your pants" start writing it out (Outliners vs. Pantsers, per Jerry Jenkins)
3. Plan a time of day to work on your project (tough one for creatives)
4. Learn what parts of the day you work BEST (efficiency, without distraction, free flow, etc.)
5. Do not prematurely share your work with others (those who aren't editors, nay-sayers, etc.)
6. Find a community of like-minded creatives; those who could protect your ideas as much as they will give honest feedback
The Writer's Lens - E45: The Affirmation of Finished Work
The Writer's Lens - Interview 09: Kay Smith, How Can Art And Faith Work Together?
The Writer's Lens - E44: The Anxiety of Unfinished Work
The Writer's Lens - Interview 08: Brian Del Turco, Owner / Operator of LifeVoiceQuest - PART 2
The Writer's Lens - BONUS: Netflix Wants Its Viewers To Dictate Endings...Is That Good?
The Writer's Lens - Interview 08: Brian Del Turco, Owner / Operator at LifeVoiceQuest - PART 1
The Writer's Lens - E43: The Incredible (And Mind-Numbing) Power Of Distraction
The Writer's Lens - E42: How Do I Get (Over) Writer's Block?
The Writer's Lens - E41: Do I Have To Be An Expert On The Topic Of My Book (In Order To Write It)?
The Writer's Lens - E39: Is Writing (And Telling) Story The Best Way To Combat Evil?
Code and preview