Ep125: Mark Stephenson - Preserving Architectural Heritage
Melbourne is rich in architectural history that is the foundation of how we live, how we have evolved and the social impacts of world events, like war, pandemics, technology, immigration and resources that have shaped the culture of our city. It's important to keep our history alive through the maintenance and retention of local architecture that explains the development of our city and the development of our people. Today, we will be looking at what makes a building heritage, and how we can preserve it.
Mark Stephenson is the Heritage Director at Trethowan - an architectural firm that specialises in heritage projects, interiors and design.
1. What are some of the key factors that could make a house heritage-listed?
2. Most people think that properties built prior to World War II are worth preserving, but should we be thinking about properties built in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and even, the most boring architectural periods the 1990's?
3. What's the difference between heritage listed and a heritage overlay?
4. What is the Heritage Register?
a). When buying a property, how could we find out if our property is on the register or has a heritage overlay?
b). If I believed my property was worthy of being on the heritage register, what could I do to register it?
5. One of our listeners, Sally from Malvern wants to make changes to her property which is heritage listed. What can she do in terms or renovating or extending the property?
6. Do I need specific trades who are registered for heritage works to work on my property or restore its character?
a). Is there somewhere where I can get a list of those trades?
b). Will they charge me a premium because of their highly recognised skill set?
7. Does a heritage listing or overlay effect the value of my property?
8. Is there anything else our listeners should know about heritage preservation before they go out to a property?
Mark can be contacted at Trethowan on (03) 9421 5448 and by email:
For advertising enquiries or to order copy:
Call the 'Real Copy Right' Hotline: 5977 8889
It is Free
Copyright © 2006-2022 Podbean.com