Episode 43: Learning in the Fast Lane with Suzy Pepper Rollins
Suzy is a math and literacy consultant.
She is mostly known by math teachers for her awesome course called Math in the Fast Lane.
She also was my first guest to be interviewed so check out Episode 2: Math in the Fast Lane with Suzy Pepper Rollins.
Suzy is now a published author and wow did she do it right!
Her book, Learning in the Fast Lane: 8 Ways to Put All Students on the Road to Academic Success is an ASCD hit!
Her 8 ways are …
1. Acceleration: Jump Starting Students Who Are Behind
2. Standards Walls: Transforming Standards into Clear Learning Goals
3. Success Starters: Sparking Student Success Right Away
4. Formative Assessment and Feedback: Checking Student Understanding Minute by Minute
5. Vocabulary Development: Implementing a Strategic Plan
6. Student Work Sessions: Giving Students Greater Responsibility With Valuable Work
7. Student Motivation: Creating Engaging Tasks and a Positive Learning Environment
8. Scaffolding: Providing What’s Missing Just in Time
Her last chapter … 9 is titled Why Are Some Students Still Failing, and What Can We Do About It?
We talk about her path to being a published author and then get into some of the specific details of the book.
Her book is right on the money for being a treasure chest of tools that can be put to use immediately in a classroom. It doesn't require a lengthy book study, on-line course or 1000's of dollars. She cuts through the education jargon and makes it easy to understand what the research says that we should be doing!
There is so much to learn from Suzy and her book!
One caution… If you read this book you will be excited about seeing the change in your students’ success!
You can contact Suzy at
It is Free