The Yule Log From Hell 2008 - iYule - Part 2
iYule Part 2
1) Station ID – Wilson Wilbury (Jeff Lynne): From the DJ only 2LP set “Winter Warnerland”
2) Merry Christmas, You Suckers – Paddy Roberts: The first time I heard this song was on the Dr Demento Show. It took me 10 years to track down a good copy of this.
3) Greensleeves – Vince Guaraldi Trio: This is an alternate take from the most recent remastered CD “A Charlie Brown Christmas”
4) Jing Jingaling – Honey &the Bees: This Philly girl group had a couple of minor hits in the 70’s.
5) Winter Wonderland – Christmas Accordians: Why it took me so long to include any accordion music on the YLFH is beyond me.
6) Baby, It’s Cold Outside – Margaret Whittig/Johnny Mercer: This version, while one of the most recognizable, always gets credited to Bing Crosby & Doris Day.
7) So Here It Is, Merry Christmas – Slade: This band made more money penning songs for other groups than themselves (having written “Cum On Feel The Noize” for Quiet Riot in the 80’s)
8) Tiajuana Christmas – George Garabedian: These records were sold exclusively at Phillips66 gas stations in the 60’s and 70’s.
9) Christmas Trumpets – Ray Anthony: Having made his mark on the big band scene in the 40’s & 50’s it’s amazing to note that he is still making music today (at the age of 86).
10) Marche (from the Nutcracker Suite) – 101 Strings: This is probably one of the first Christmas albums I ever owned.
11) Jingle Bombs – Achmed the Dead Terrorist (Jeff Dunham): This ventriloquist extraordinaire has a new Christmas DVD out. It is damn funny!
12) I Believe in Father Christmas – Honeymoon Suite: As if 3 versions from Greg Lake weren’t enough.
13) On Christmas Night – Handbell Ringers of Great Britain: Thanks to the folks over at falalalala.com for this little gem.
14) Christmas Everyday – Smokey Robinson &the Miracles: So much Motown…so little time.
15) Mistletoe and Holly – Gunter Kallman Choir: I’m not sure where I stumbled on this one. I just like it.
16) Chrismastime Is Here Again – My Morning Jacket: Not a large spark of originality here.
17) Skating – David Benoit: The Vince Guaraldi classics never go out of style. From his 1996 CD “Remembering Christmas”
18) Holiday Spirit – The DB’s: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!
19) Space-age Santa Claus – Hal Bradley Orchestra w/Patty Marie Jay: During the 60’s when we were all obsessed with space travel…even Santa got in the act.
20) Hang Up Your Stocking – The Chipmunks w/David Seville: Only the original will chipmunks will do, thank you very much!
21) What Are You Doing, New Year’s Eve? – Diana Krall: I will be in Arizona…thanks for asking. From Mrs. Elvis Costello
22) Chanukah is a State of Mind – The Mommyheads: A Jewish take on The Christmas Song…I think.
23) I Saw Three Ships – Chris Squire’s Swiss Chior: Yes’ bass player didn’t want to be outdone by his band mates.
24) Meli Kimikemaka – Poi Dog Pondering: Sort of a Cajun/Hawaiian version.
25) Silver Bells – The Four Aces: I discovered this little gem at a real cool record shop outside of Chicago.
26) Children Go Where I Send Them – Natalie Merchant: There are just some voices you can recognize immediately.
27) Joy To the World – Sy Mann: Sy traded in his Wurlitzer organ for a Moog Synthesizer.
It is Free