iEat Green - Guest: Pascale Naessens - 08.17.17
This week, my guest on the Progressive Radio Network is Pascale Naessens, Belgium Chef, Artist, and Author of Pure Pascale, Pure and Simple. This is Pascale’s 6th book, all of which have reached the top of the Belgium charts. Her message is simple. She recommends a lifestyle that embraces only natural, unprocessed foods. Her approach has only one rule—no carbohydrates with protein. So, you can eat anything you want, but not together. She works with a basic series of food combinations: meat or fish + vegetables; carbohydrates + vegetables; or dairy + vegetables. She does away with the need to count calories or restrict portion sizes., but promises you will lose weight. It’s said that Naessens has “taught her nation to eat healthily.”
Baked Pesto Squash Casserole
Preheat oven to 375*. You will need a 9” x 13” casserole pan.
1 patty pan Squash, de-seeded and
2 summer squash, sliced
½ t. salt
2 Tbs. pesto
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 Tbs. minced garlic
3 Tbs. white wine
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
4 cups finely chopped kale
1 Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. white wine
3 Tbs. of pesto
3 Heirloom tomatoes, sliced
½ lb fresh mozzarella, sliced
1. Grease the bottom and sides of the casserole pan.
2. Cover the bottom of casserole pan with slices of the patty pan squash.
3. Sauté onion in olive oil with 2 Tbs. minced garlic. When onions are
translucent, add the cherry tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes, then add the
salt, and 3 Tbs. of white wine. Cook for 3 more minutes until the wine
has evaporated. Add 2 Tbs. pesto and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato mixture to the casserole pan in an even layer.
5. Add the 2 cups of grated Gruyere cheese, and spread out in even
6. Add a layer of the summer squash slices over the cheese.
7. In a wok, sauté the kale in olive oil with the remaining garlic. Cook
for 5 minutes, then add the white wine. Cook until all liquid has
8. Spread the kale in an even layer on top of the casserole.
9. Cover with a layer of the sliced heirloom tomatoes.
10. Spread the remaining pesto on top of the tomatoes, and cover with the
slices of fresh mozzarella cheese.
11. Cover with tin foil and bake at 375* for 40 minutes. Remove tin foil
and bake for 10 more minutes, until cheese is golden brown on edges.
It is Free