iEat Green - Guest: Steve Brescia - 08.24.17
Steve Brescia is the co-founder and Executive Director of Groundswell International. Groundswell works with partners to spread farmer-led agroecology, strengthen sustainable local food economies, and promote enabling policy contexts from the ground up. Founded in 2009, Groundswell currently works with partners in Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Ecuador, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mail, Senegal, Nepal and in the US. Mr. Brescia has over 25 years of experience in international development, social change and grassroots advocacy. From 1996-2009 he worked for World Neighbors, supporting people-centered rural development programs, initially in Central America, Mexico and Haiti and later on a global level. Prior positions included support for the restoration of the democratically elected government of Haiti after the 1991 coup d’etat; and as a consultant for the Inter American Foundation (IAF) supporting programs in the Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia. He holds an MA in International Development from American University (1991).
Glazed Korean Tofu with Squash Medley
1 lb Tofu, cut into thirds horizontally, then pressed between 2 dish towels to remove water, then cubed
1 Japanese eggplant, cut lengthwise and then sliced into ¼” thick pieces
1 Onion, cut into slivers
1 green pepper, quartered, then sliced
½ pattypan squash, de-seeded and sliced 1/4” thick, then bite size pieces
1 summer squash, cut lengthwise and then sliced into ¼” thick pieces
2 Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. minced ginger
1 yellow tomato, cut into wedges, then halved
1 red tomato, cut into wedges, then halved
2 + 2 Tbs. mirin
2 + 3 Tbs. Tamari
1 + 1 t. hot sesame oil
1 + 1 t. sesame oil
1 t., plus 1 Tbs. Sriracha
¼ t. salt
2 Tbs. scallions
1. Set up wok with steamer basket, and steam eggplant for 7 minutes. Remove basket and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in cast iron frying pan, sauté tofu in a little olive oil, until golden brown on one side.
Turn over, and add 1 Tbs. garlic and 1 Tbs. ginger. Continue sautéing until golden brown on other
side. Add 2 Tbs. Tamari, 2 Tbs. mirin, 1 t. hot sesame oil, 1 t. sesame oil and 1 t. Sriracha. Set
3. Wipe out wok and dry. Add a little olive oil and heat over high heat. Add onions and sauté for 5
minutes. Add remaining garlic and ginger.
4. Add squash to onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add peppers, steamed eggplant, and tomatoes. Add 2 Tbs. mirin and 3 Tbs. Tamari, stir, lower
heat, and cover. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes, until squash is soft.
6. Add Sriracha Sauce and salt.
7. Taste and adjust spices
8. Place squash medley on platter, and top with glazed tofu.
9. Garnish with scallions and serve!
It is Free