iEat Green - Annie Novak - 12.07.17
Annie Novak is founder and director of Growing Chefs, field-to- fork food education program; the Manager of the Edible Academy at the New York Botanical Garden, and co-founder and farmer of Eagle Street Rooftop Farm in Greenpoint, Brooklyn in partnership with Goode Green and Broadway Stages. She is the author of The Rooftop Growing Guide: How to Transform Your Roof into a Garden or Farm, published by Ten Speed Press. A passionate educator, Annie teaches locally & nationally, and has spoken at conferences around the country on the connections between people, food and ecology, and the benefits of urban agriculture. Annie writes in her own words for The Atlantic, Rodale’s Organic Life Magazine, Wilder Quarterly, and Diner Journal.
Stuffed Squash with Asian Tempeh
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2 delicata squash, inside scooped out and diced (can substitute summer squash or zucchini)
2 baby butternut squash, inside scooped out and diced
1- 8 oz block of your favorite tempeh, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 cup diced carrots,
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons grated ginger
½ yellow pepper, diced
1 ½ cups broccoli florets
2 Tbs. tamari
1 Tbs. Mirin
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
2 cups cooked brown rice mixed with wild rice
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, and some of the inside flesh. Place in pyrex pan with
a little water. Cover with parchment paper and roast in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. When
soft, remove from oven and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, in cast iron pan, sauté tempeh in olive oil till golden brown. Turn over each piece and
sauté the other side until golden brown. Splash with tamari (about 1 Tbs) and remove from pan. Set
3. Wipe out pan, and sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add the carrots and the inside pieces of
squash. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add the broccoli. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the peppers
5. Add the Mirin and Tamari.
6. Add the tempeh back into the pan.
7. Add the Wild Rice, and parsley.
8. Fill squashes with vegetable mixture.
9. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
It is Free