Sports & Recreation
79: Matt Kosderka- Head Baseball Coach, Lewis & Clark College (OR)
This episode is brought to you by baseballcloud.
In this episode of Ahead of the Curve, I welcome Matt Kosderka, Head Coach of D3 Lewis and Clark College Baseball team. Matt shares how he keeps his players motivated and successful in the game of baseball and the game of life.
Guest: Matt Kosderka, professional baseball player who now teaches and coaches college baseball.
What are the players favorite aspect of practice
3 Key Points:
Coaching a D3 school can pose unique issues for baseball players.
Matt develops intentional training programs, communication, and unique competitions to keep his players engaged.
Matt emphasizes why it is important not to get stuck in the kids and their different upbringings. It is important to teach baseball but it is even more important to teach life.
- ¨I think of the best ways to help our players is to have a high expectations and hold kids accountable to them.” – Matt. (46:25)
- “I think that its normal, regardless how old you are, to love to compete. And so there's two things that I think we probably do that they like the most One is we call for spotlight base running. And so we put a base runner at every position we put to first base, just to have an extra guy there. And then we put a defense against them, and in each hitter gets two swings, to get the ball and play.¨ – Matt. (39:09)
- “My career ended because I couldn't handle the failure. So now I want to help my players with that.¨–Matt (38:20)
- “Spend your off season studying one element of the game that you want to get better at.¨–Matt (35:50)
- “Adjust the culture to develop your identity as a program and we use pillars to teach those things to our guys. And I think that definitely helped last year.¨– Matt (34:40)
- “When I started out as a coach 20 years ago, I would say that I had a different definition of success.¨–Matt (29:36)
It is Free