Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
The Gospel of Mark, Part 1
Since we both love the Gospel of Mark best (even though it's a bit ridiculous to play favorites with the Gospels) we decided to devote a whole show to working through it. We dig into the details of the theological framework and creativity of this Evangelist who created the genre of Gospel, illuminating the parts we find astounding and inspiring. And there was so much to say that we decided to do this one as a two-parter! Second half coming soon.
2. Here's the complete free text of Albert Schweizer's Quest of the Historical Jesus.
3. When we tried to narrow down the exact "Jesus the Salesman" book Dad mentioned, we discovered a truly horrifying number of business books and prosperity promises based on Jesus. No links to such works will be offered here. Please, we beg of you, just don't go there at all.
4. Johannes Weiss, Jesus' Proclamation of the Kingdom of God.
5. William Wrede, The Messianic Secret.
7. C. Clifton Black, Abingdon New Testament Commentary on Mark.
8. Donald H. Juel, A Master of Surprise: Mark Interpreted.
9. And, quite different from all the foregoing commentaries on Mark, this is a great tool for analyzing story structure, just as pertinent to Mark as to Pride and Prejudice: Shawn Coyne, The Story Grid.
It is Free