Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
The Book of Joshua
Is Joshua both the most horrifying and the most boring book in the whole biblical canon? Is it divine sanction for genocide and colonialism? Heck, did any of the events recorded therein even happen?!
In this episode we sort through the enormous textual, historical, and above all theological challenges in the interpretation of Joshua and explore the ways in which Christians can affirm this difficult book as holy Scripture.
1. Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible
2. Hannah Arendt, On Violence
3. Joel Marcus, Mark 1–8 and Mark 8–16
4. The Hebrew word we discuss is “herem,” and for what it’s worth here’s the Wikipedia article on it.
5. Richard Nelson, Joshua
6. Thomas B. Dozeman, Joshua 1–12
7. Boyd, The Crucifixion of the Warrior God
8. John H. Walton and J. Harvey Walton, The Lost World Of The Israelite Conquest
It is Free