16.1: Empress of Forever pre-read: Space Opera, Epics, & Journey to the West
What goes around comes around on the wheel of karma, so this month Matt & Adrian talking about the new novel from past guest Max Gladstone, Empress of Forever (https://amzn.to/2Jl9X94)!
We discuss a number of books, movies, TV shows, and RPGs in the general space opera subgenre. Here are some of the most relevant. If the links don't show up in your podcatcher, they will be available on the show notes at spectology.com.
- Empress of Forever by Max Gladstone
- This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar & Max
- Journey to the West
- Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
- Ten Billion Days & 100 Billion Nights by Ryu Mitsuse (see our 10.1 & 10.2 episodes)
- Iain M Banks (see our 1.1 & 1.2 episodes on his Use of Weapons)
- Gnomon by Nick Harkaway (see our 5.1 & 5.2 episodes w/ Max as a guest)
- The New Space Opera & TNSO2, ed. Gardner Dozois & Jonathan Strahan
- Sufficiently Advanced (RPG)
- Ghibli Fest 2019 (particularly Princess Mononoke)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (on Netflix)
We'd love to hear from you (tell us your definition of space opera!), either by chatting with us on twitter at @spectologypod, sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or submitting the episode to r/printSF on reddit. We'll reply, and shout you out in the next podcast when we talk about your comment.
And if you like the episode, subscribe at spectology.com or whever you listen to podcasts, and share it with your friends!
It is Free