026 The Best Way to Maximize Your Life
In this episode I talk through the best way to maximize your life. It's by finding the right people. The right people will multiply you. The wrong people will sabotage the trajectory of your life. Here, I share about four people who maximized the trajectory of my life. Who were they? What was the conversation that changed me? What was the outcome of listening to their advice? I know that I would not be where I am today if it had not been for those conversations.... AND that I listened. At the end of the episode I unpack what to look for in a wise counsellor and give you pointers where to find them!
Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
1. Bill Pascoe - Farmer, friend of my father
Counseled me from investing two years in higher education to investing FOUR years in higher education, resulting in a 10x world of opportunities. I ended up winning a scholarship that resulted in working for the leading agricultural business consultancy company AND being mentored by the leading consultant in the country.
2. Mike Connell - Pastor
Counseled me from over-reacting to poor leadership by avoiding leadership opportunities to making myself available and not letting those poor examples define me. The result was immediate promotion in my work.
3. Kris Vallotton - Leader, overseer
Counseled me from starting our online platform with a very lean model - limited to our cash-on-hand, to thinking and believing bigger, getting funding and employing someone immediately. The result was $90k of funding and a platform that became financially sustainable within 9 months of launch.
4. Tony Stoltzfus - Board member, coach, friend
Counseled me from blindly trusting God to provide, to confronting my fear of asking for help and asking God who I should talk with. Result was that I overcame the lies that I was using 'God' to hide behind, asking six different people for funding, growing deeper in relationship with ALL of them AND ending up with a fully funded proposal.
Without counsel, plans go awry,
But in the multitude of counselors they are established.
- Before counsel I was only accessing my intelligence and thought. After counsel I accessed a collective intelligence = decades more wisdom and experience that multiplies what I could step into.
- Before counsel I was thinking small. After counsel my bubble of thinking was popped and replaced with something 100 times bigger. AND the belief I could DO THIS.
- Before counsel I was limited to my friends and circle of influence. After counsel I gained access to a much wider group of people that could add value, wisdom and resources.
- Before counsel my decision was being motivated by fear. After counsel my perspective was changed, my beliefs were adjusted and I started making healthy decisions.
- Before counsel, I was my own accountablity ie. there was none. After counsel I had someone asking me the painful questions I would naturally avoid on my own. The result = momentum.
- Before counsel I was thinking short term: me, my world, now. After counsel I was thinking about the bigger picture, how this would affect others and the eternal impacts.
Bottom line - YOU NEED WISE COUNSEL.
For by wise counsel you will wage your own war,
And in a multitude of counselors there is safety.
1. The Ancient book of wisdom... Proverbs. The Bible.
3. Professionals (qualified and experienced counsellors, advisors, pastors, coaches, consultants...). I have relationship with a professional coach, marriage counsellor, pastor, mentor, advisory board.
4. Friends/community/service group. I meet with three friends every two weeks where we have built trust to speak into one another's lives. I have also met wise counselors by being on a board of directors with them. Others I have met by serving my community and ending up serving alongside them.
So what about you? Tag and send gratitude to the wise counsellors in your life. If you are wanting business growth AND fully engage your walk with God, check out our Heaven in Business Advisory Service and book a call with one of the team.
It is Free