Religion & Spirituality:Christianity
04-19-20 Kevin Goins - The Church's Ministry of Healing, John 9:6 pt 2
“Anatomy of an Illness: The Church’s Ministry of Healing”
John 9:6 (Part 2)
I First, sickness gets our attention and it gets the attention of Jesus (9:1).
II Second, sickness makes us uncomfortable (9:2).
III Third, sickness is caused by alienation (9:2).
IV Fourth, oftentimes our best theological or commonsense explanations for sickness are not good enough (9:3a).
V Fifth, sometimes sickness happens for a good reason, so that God can be glorified in our life (9:3b).
VI Sixth, all believers in Jesus are called to help sick people find health (9:4).
VII Seventh, sickness is a work of the kingdom of darkness; healing is a work of the Kingdom of light (9:5).
VIII Eighth, the how of healing is very important (9:6).
-What do we learn from this verse?
A. First, we see that how Jesus healed was in accordance with God’s will and in accordance with the principles of the Kingdom of Light.
B. Second, we see that how Jesus healed was not by m__________________.
1. Before we talk about what Jesus does, we need to see what Jesus does ________ do:
a. First, he does not i_________________ himself to this man.
1. In other words, he does not give a G____________ p_________________.
2. Jesus does not p___________ to this man.
b. Second, Jesus does not bring up the issue of the man’s p________________ n___________.
c. Third, and perhaps most important of all, he does not ask the man if he w__________ to be h_____________.
1. The reason this is important is because some have the idea that healing was just a m_________ to an e________.
2. These people believe that Jesus healed in order to get the a______________ of people, so that they would listen to his p____________________ of salvation.
3. There are times when Jesus heals someone and that person does b___________ in him, but there are also numerous times when there is _____ indication that the healed person becomes a follower of Jesus.
4. This doesn’t make sense to us. We believe that Jesus should have used healing to e_________________.
d. Why Did Jesus ________ use miracles to make people believe in him?
1. First, because Jesus knew that miracles could not g_________________ genuine faith.
2. Second, because Jesus healed for another reason: he healed, not to make people believe, but because he had c___________________ on people.
C. Third, we see that how Jesus healed is something we should never i___________.
1. We may think that we do not need to know the how, just the e_________ r_______________.
2. Not only in John’s Gospel, but throughout the New Testament we are given a great many d_____________ about how the miracles of Jesus were carried out.
3. The fact that the Gospel writers, when they recount miracles, tell us how the miracle was carried out, reminds us that Jesus was not a m____________________.
4. We need to do more than just casually read God’s Word; we need to ___________________ God’s Word.
It is Free