Bless me, listeners, for I have sinned! It has been 575 days since my last post. And to paraphrase the world’s most famous TERF, I solemnly swear I have been up to no good.
Serendipity and dialectics: as I embark on a mission of piecing together the past, I find that this show performs a feat of alchemy, in piecing together various fragments of shows that I had planned on doing before the Great Lockdown, and yet striking me as “a little too perfect.” That’s what my notes from the time say, and I have no standing at present to second-guess them.
Early on, I feel like this program “makes no sense” and is “too retro”; it doesn’t seem to get into gear until about 20 minutes in, when we go from African Head Charge to TNT Roots to Breathless. And that’s just it, as pleasant and weird as this strikes me, I’m still struggling for content in this early-COVID period when the old can’t die and the new struggles to be born. I’m running on the fumes of old staples like The Blog That Celebrates Itself (RIP). Sometimes a thing is playing (let’s say Jay Glass Dubs) and it sounds like “my show” as I currently understand it and sometimes a different thing (I don’t want to name names here, but let’s imagine a band with a name that sounds like “Octo Fins”) and it just doesn’t sound like me.
I could never have guessed I would be here, but here I am. Thank you for hearing my confession.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 April 1, 2100-2300:
- "Kuff Dam" | Happy Mondays | Squirrel And G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) [reissue] | London
- "Sub-Mission" | Sex Pistols | Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols [reissue] | Warner Bros. - Rhino
- "Healing" | $entric | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "The Heart You Break May Be Your Own" | Patsy Cline | The Legendary Patsy Cline | Special Music | "The Listening Parlour"
- "How to Bring a Blush to the Snow" | Cocteau Twins | Victorialand [reissue] | 4AD
- "Healing Ceremony" | African Head Charge | Songs of Praise [reissue] | On-U Sound
- "Glorious Dub" | TNT Roots | Raw Dub Creator | Bokeh Versions
- "Touchstone" | Breathless | The Glass Bead Game [reissue] | 1972 - Tenor Vossa
- "Cold Hands" | Numerals&Letters | Come On Feel The NoiZe, Vol. 5 - Amour pour la France | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Repeating Night" | Algiers | There Is No Year | Matador
- "Animal Estate ft. Yorgia Karidi" | Jay Glass Dubs | Epitaph | Bokeh Versions
- "Lord of Hosts" | Earthquake | Raw Dub Creator | Bokeh Versions
- "Addis" | Sneaks | Highway Hypnosis | Merge
- "Habla Plasma" | PASS | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "True Love" | Ivan Black | Modern City Scapes | vanguardista
- "Chebo" | Electric Sewer Age | Contemplating Nothingness | Hallow Ground
- "Get Me Out Of Echo Park" | The Black Watch | Magic Johnson | ATOM
- "Mr. Land Freezer" | Pia Fraus | Empty Parks | Seksound
- "ブラジル" | Xela Memories | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Ubirr" | Mikael Fyrek | Further Asunder | Kahvi Collective
- "The Ghosts Of Winter Stalk This Land" | The Membranes | What Nature Gives...Nature Takes Away | Cherry Red
"slow syrup" | serpentwithfeet | soil | Secretly Canadian
- "Joy_33 aci4.5test" | CYBEREALITY | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Space Carnival" | The Comet Is Coming | Channel The Spirits | Leaf
- "Ladaney (Woman's Name)" | Dur-Dur Band | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "We Were Dancing" | TUPPERWAVE | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Industrial dead" | Milbentia | Disintegration | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Dry" | The Durutti Column | Vini Reilly [reissue] | Factory Benelux
I am pickled, I am done