"I keep falling asleep during this episode," my notes say, "but I assure you it is quite good." Here's hoping you can (a) stay awake and (b) find this assessment accurate. Despite the distance between then and now, it's tough for me to be objective.
I know there are strong tunes here, but the segues seem weak to me. Plus, I just don't sound up for it. Hopefully you can excuse this--I'd had a bad week at work; specifically, I was threatened by a student and then scolded by my superiors for setting a boundary with this person. Prepare yourself for many work anecdotes to come. Things don't get better, despite what you may have heard.
In re. one of the artists on tonight's program, I should have said "Abby Normal" and not "Abe Normal." I had certainly listened to that release prior to playing it, but I suppose not carefully enough, or maybe I didn't retain the experience. Who knows. There is a lot of that to come too.
Sleep well, if it's what you need.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 April 8, 2100-2300:
- "Freedom Fighters" | Delroy Washington | Beyond the Frontline | Front Line - Virgin
- "Powerful" | Earthquake | Raw Dub Creator | Bokeh Versions
- "The battle for Karbala" | Saint Abdullah | The Sounds of Evil - Vol. 1 | Boomarm Nation
- "Reformation!" | The Fall | Reformation Post T.L.C. [reissue] | Cherry Red
- "Tiet" | Mikael Fyrek | Further Asunder | Kahvi Collective
- "How Many Stars?" | The Mekons | Glitterbeat_tak:til_2019 | Glitterbeat
- "Foliba" | Super Rail Band Of The Buffet Hotel Del La Gare De Bamako, Mali | New Dimensions In Rail Culture | Globe Style
- "Dancing With Aliens" | beto | DISBOARD | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Ballad of JC Quinn" | The Mystery Plan | Zsa Zsa | Ten Millimeter Omega
- "Mash / Time: The Donut Of The Heart / Glazed / Airworks / Lightworks / Stepson Of The Clapper / The Twister (Huh, What)" | J Dilla | Donuts [reissue] | Stones Throw
- "Sweet Sensation" | Half Nelson | Avon Garde | Avon Terror Corps
- "Foundation (Mix 2)" | TNT Roots | Raw Dub Creator | Bokeh Versions
- "Losing Is Ours" | Algiers | There Is No Year | Matador
- "Psychedelic Rock" | Ernest Ranglin | Jamaica All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 | Studio One / Coxsone
- "The Call // Ravenous" | Hallows | Subtle | Phage Tapes
- "Guidance" | Yahweh Warriors | Raw Dub Creator | Bokeh Versions
- "Kajo Golo Weka" | Peter Tsotsi Juma & The Eagles Lupopo | Kenya Special (Selected East African Recordings From The 1970s & '80s) | Soundway
- "Happy Go Lucky Girl" | John Holt | Jamaica All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 | Studio One / Coxsone
- "side a" | abenrmal | [在常情節中找到自己] | Virtual Soundsystem
- "The Autojector" | Letters From Mouse | Proto Human | Kahvi Collective
- "Andalusia" | Ranil | Stay Safe & Sound Ranil Selection !! | Analog Africa
- "Get You Off My Mind" | The Freedom Singers | Jamaica All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 | Studio One / Coxsone
- "Trompo sin punta" | Aura en el espejo | Niñez | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Cob Twenty" | Happy Mondays | Squirrel And G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) [reissue] | London
hold on like i do