Welcome to Eighties night! Are you up for some Cocteau Twins? Shriekback? Breathless? Durutti Column? Crass? The Wedding Present? How about two versions of the same R.E.M. song? "Sure," I can hear you saying. "Sounds tubular." Public life had stopped when this broadcast aired, so why not time itself?
I must say, though--as good as the segues are (some of them are quite good), this show doesn't have a center. My methods may be new but the old shortcomings remain.
There aren't many chances for me to speak (I don't anticipate any complaints) due to the scarcity of instrumentals here, but there are lots of people, seemingly, burying their vocals in tonight's music. I remember this impulse--the vocalist needs to do something on the track but doesn't want to be understood, lest they be exposed, found having actually nothing to say.
I am trying to deprogram myself from these remembered impulses, but I think we'll see it happen on the program before it happens in real life.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 April 15, 2100-2300:
- "Keres" | Mikael Fyrek | Further Asunder | Kahvi Collective
- "Monkey Talk" | Breathless | The Glass Bead Game [reissue] | 1972 - Tenor Vossa
- "This Big Hush" | Shriekback | Oil And Gold | Island
- "Oomingmak" | Cocteau Twins | Victorialand [reissue] | 4AD
- "Subtle" | Hallows | Subtle | Phage Tapes
- "Te Quiero Mucho" | Ranil | Stay Safe & Sound Ranil Selection !! | Analog Africa
- "Sammy" | Brentford All Stars | Jamaica All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 | Studio One / Coxsone
- "TroubleRoundDiCorner" | SEEKERSINTERNATIONAL | RunComeTest EP | Bokeh Versions
- "Otis (Live)" | The Durutti Column | Vini Reilly [reissue] | Factory Benelux
- "Land" | KL/BE/DH/RS | Avon Garde | Avon Terror Corps
- "He Don't Love You" | Larry Williams | Jamaica All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 | Studio One / Coxsone
- "Your Agent Man" | Cabaret Voltaire | 3 Crépuscule Tracks | Rough Trade
- "Ecstasy" | Sneaks | Highway Hypnosis | Merge
- "Heartbreak Hotel" | Brian | Dabbs Hill | self-released
- "Wolves, Lower" | The Death of Pop | Welcome To The Occupation, A Reverence to R.E.M. | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "The Sea B" | Lebend | Come On Feel The NoiZe, Vol. 4 - La Furia | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Still Too Far To Go" | Electric Sewer Age | Contemplating Nothingness | Hallow Ground
- "Cruel Set of Shades" | Harry Stafford | Gothic Urban Blues | Black Lagoon
- "At the Edge Of The Sea" | The Wedding Present | Once More | Optic Nerve
- "Problems" | Sex Pistols | Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols [reissue] | Warner Bros. - Rhino
- "Don't Bleach" | I Jahbar | Mutual Aid 2020 | Bokeh Versions
- "Nothing Bloomed" | Algiers | There Is No Year | Matador
- "Health Surface" | Crass | Penis Envy | Crass
- "Wolves, Lower" | R.E.M. | Dead Letter Office | I.R.S.
- "Dunkin" | Letters From Mouse | Proto Human | Kahvi Collective
- "Konowale" | Super Rail Band Of The Buffet Hotel Del La Gare De Bamako, Mali | New Dimensions In Rail Culture | Globe Style
- "Passwords" | Ultramarine | This Time Last Year | Real Soon
- "To My Benefitors" | Jay Glass Dubs | Epitaph | Bokeh Versions
i will love myself